Tuesday, October 18, 2011

I love (some of) the Chuckys!!


Okay, so we got through Michael, Jason, Freddy, & Elliot, now...Chucky!


Child's Play 1, 2, & 3


The films-

All right, so, this is an odd case...

With Michael, Jason, Pinhead, and to a lesser extent than the rest, Freddy, they all tended to start off impressively, and rocketed downhill.

Here...here it started weak, and GOT good!
Here the curve shoots upward!

But...these first three....let's get 'em out of the way.

The first one, different, fun, some genuine suspense scares...two..meh, about on par with the first...three...fuckin' shlock.

The trilogy overall...meh...nothing to write home about, like, if they come on basic cable, they're better to watch than 90% of regular-ass shitty TV.

None of 'em really memorable, and IMHO, totally skip-able.

The idea of Chucky sells these better than the actual films.

I mean, what you've essentially got, is a killer Garbage Pail Kid.
If you were a Garbage Pail kid fan, and you got screwed by that wretched excuse for a movie that that spawned, you finally get your ticket price out of Chucky.

And yet, it got so much better....

The history-

Like I said above, the idea of Chucky sold me on these, and kept me coming back, even though the films weren't so hot.

I totally wanted to see the first one when I saw the ads on TV, I was instantly sold, but I wouldn't get to see it until it came to Cinemax, and....I could almost tune in scrambled Cinemax on my old cable box, it was 89%, so I watched it grainy.

Scrambled Cinemax was the UTorrent of its day, y'see, kiddies.

Part 2 I saw with friends, and that made it better.

3 I rented for/by myself.
Blah.

And, that's it.
Nothing life changing.


Bride of Chucky



The film-

Now THIS is where it got fucking good.

Well, I said it pretty well here.

They finally embraced the premise, and made it comedy horror, and you're like "ahhh, what did they WAIT for?".

It's a damned hoot. A great one for Halloween.
Love it.

Also, if you want to canonize the stuff in the evidence locker along with Chucky's carcass, it crosses over with Freddy, Jason, Michael, and Leatherface.

And of course, Ronny Yu would go on to direct "Freddy vs. Jason"

The history-

Ehh, I rented it, then bought it. *shrug*
Actually, got it in the set that has "Bride", "Seed", and 2 & 3.
You get the crappy ones pretty much for free, so, no loss.


Seed of Chucky


The film-

A fucking riot!!

Aw, man, as great as "Bride", was, this one takes it up 3 more notches.

Side-splitting.

Talked about it a little here, but I'll re-iterate my favorite quote...


"As a doll, I'm fucking infamous! I'm one of the most notorious slashers in history!
And I don't wanna give that up. I am Chucky, the killer doll! And I dig it!".


Insert your own name, and fiddle with the details, you've got the ultimate daily affirmation there.

Love it.

I dunno, I love Freddy...but Chucky in "Bride", and "Seed", is pretty fucking cool....tough one...

I wish the series had continued on this timeline, I'd dearly love new wacky misadventures of Jennifer Tilly, but.....


Child's Play (2012)

Yeeeaahh...fuckin' remake on it's way...bastids.

Don Mancini is involved, and Brad Dourif is still gonna voice Chucky...but they're deliberately erasing Tiffany.

Apparently, "fans", have said they "want to go back to the straightforward horror rather than the horror comedy."

What "fans", are these?
Why am I never in on these polls, or whatever they are?
I think they make it the fuck up.
Really? A serious Chucky??

He's a fucking killer doll.

Snap out of it, you twits.

Gah-dammit.

Ah, well...

So, that's the Chuckys.
Two shining pearls that randomly emerged from a field of static in the Hollywood machine.
It's rare, enjoy it when it happens.

Um, so, up next...let's get Leatherface out of the way....

No comments:

Blog Archive

Labels