Saturday, March 23, 2019

Revisits #29.


In "Fish From The Quantum Sea #5", I collected all the "things that don't give me nightmares".

I'd kinda like to walk down memory lane, and update those.
Been 8 years now.


Things that don't give me nightmares #1.
(Unwrapped with Marc Summers (and other industrial/nostalgia type shows))

I don't watch these anymore.
I guess their modern equivalent would be stuff like "The Toys That Made Us", and all the movie nostalgia docs I've been collecting.
And "Adam Ruins Everything".


Things that don't give me nightmares #2.
(Good books, toys, my favorite places)

The reading/viewing list still applies.

Most of those toys are broken now.
The gumstick MP3 player still works, but is obsolete.
Gotta find use for that gumstick camera, but last I checked, it didn't hold a charge very well.
Never could get the universal remote to work when I needed it to.
The lighter literally fell apart.
Eh, fun while it all lasted.

Westbook, sss, ouch, yep, dead to me.
Gorham can eat my ass.
Haven't gone to Nonesuch books in ages, dunno if they exist anymore.
Borders is dead.
Newberry, eh....haven't gone there in ages.
Lindt store is dead.
Weathervane is dead.
Westbrook Cinemagic is dead to me, but I still go to A Cinemagic.
1st Stop....well, I avoid Westbrook, so bye bye.
Full Belly Deli is dead.
Bullmoose is my movies/books place now.


Things that don't give me nightmares #3.
(Thinkgeek, Dealextreme, Shmegalamonga, my readers)

Hmm, I don't go to Thinkgeek anymore.
Don't know why.
Don't go to Dealextreme anymore.
Don't know why.
I think once I got the Dingoo, I was all set.

This blog.
Yep, it still makes me happy.
I don't care if blogs aren't "hip", anymore.
I'll work this thing until Google takes the whole service down.


Things that don't give me nightmares #4.
(Freddy movies)

Y'know, I haven't spun 'em in awhile.
I got so much shit now, I do them Halloween week if ever.


Things that don't give me nightmares #5.
(The good animated satire shows)

Y'know, I feel guilty, but I haven't made time for Family Guy, American Dad, Simpsons, Robot Chicken, or South Park in years.
Boondocks jumped the shark, and then ended.
And Venture Bros...shit, I lost track of that somewhere around season 5.

There's so many superhero shows now, and podcasts I enjoy, I'm kept busy.
Hell, I'm not even able to keep up with the superheroes anymore.
I haven't touched Umbrella Academy or Doom Patrol yet, and everyone's going bananas for those.


Things that don't give me nightmares #6.
(The good channels)

Ovation got deleted from basic analog cable.
Then I got it back when we went to digital basic.
But it's not the artsy-fartsy channel I fell in love with, it's all old Hollywood movies now, and not even the classy shit.
I can watch those movies anywhere.
Oh, and then "Spectrum", did away with analog cable, so there's ONLY digital HD now.

Youtube has grown enough, I can always find shit to stimulate my mind.
I'm all right.

PBS has Deepak Chopra shit on now, so fuck them.

C-Span 2 doesn't have cool authors on anymore.

History Channel got devoured by UFO and ghost shit.
They're ruined.
But, the spinoff channels on digital basic still have cool shit.


Things that don't give me nightmares #7.
(People that I'm glad exist)

Firefighters, rescue workers, EMTs, and chefs, yes.

Cops, soldiers, and doctors I'm a bit more distrustful of now.
Not enough to become an anarchist, or an alt-med loon, but I give 'em the side-eye.


Things that don't give me nightmares #8.
(The second tier of good channels)

Back then...
TCM, FX, Comedy Central, Bravo, E!, Food, Cartoon Network, TVLand/Nick @ Nite.

These days...
TCM, sometimes if I land on it and a good movie is on.
AMC for Walking Dead and Preacher
CW for the DC shows.
Fox for The Gifted, Gotham, and Orville.
TruTv for At Home With Amy Sedaris.
Sci-Fi for Krypton.
FX for Legion.
Comet, MeTV, BBCAmerica, and Elrey for the old reruns TVLand and Nick @ Nite used to have

E!, Food, Cartoon Network, TVLand/Nick @ Nite?
Never.
Never need them.

Again, Youtube and podcasts eat most of my TV time.
Or books.
Or my blu-ray collection.
Like I said for part 6, I'm all right.


Things that don't give me nightmares #9.
(Um...I guess that I'm not in a society of rape-cannibals..yet)

Covered this in "Corrections/updates Part 17".
Trump ruined this illusion for me.


Things that don't give me nightmares #10.
(That I'm not any of these people...)

Quark, Orcs, Cardassian, slack jawed yokel, Sneeches, Palpatine, Jim Jones.

Representing greed, blind mob violence, blind obedience to a militaristic state, proud ignorance, bigotry, totalitarianism, and messianic megalomania.

All of them boil down to exploitation, and/or a willingness to be exploited.
Or, boiled even further down, a MAGA hat wearer.

Yeah, I'm sticking by this.


Things that don't give me nightmares #11.
(The beauty of the universe)

I guess I stand by that.
Even in the time of Trump & Brexit, great advances are still being made, and we keep learning more and more about the universe and ourselves.
All this stuff in the news is ignorance taking its death spasms.


Things that don't give me nightmares #12.
(Geek culture, it's just better)

And I was saying all this before the MCU had really kicked in.

Now we've had the MCU for 10 years.
Bumblebee finally fixed the Transformers franchise.
Ready Player One is a thing.
Stranger Things is a thing.
Ghostbusters 3 is on its way.
Cobra Kai season 2 is on its way.
Star Wars came back in 2015 and is 4 movies in.
Aquaman made 1 billion dollars, so the DCEU has arrived.
And as mentioned in part 5, superheroes have gobbled up TV too.
Geeks won.
Culturally.
Now to get the troglodytes out of politics.


Things that don't give me nightmares #13.
(Dingoo, and that there's geeks on Youtube that loved all the shit I do)

The geek nostalgia community of Youtube overwhelmed my Dingoo collecting abilities, and I mostly just use Youtube without obsessing over hardrive-ing everything.

There's too much NEW stuff with a nostalgia spin that there's not enough time for wallowing in ACTUAL nostalgia!

It's a cool place to be.


1-13 is a good enough place to stop.
I'll do 14-27 as a part 2 either tonight, or tomorrow.
See you next time.



No comments:

Blog Archive

Labels