Sunday, December 23, 2018

Big 2018 Movies Part 19.


After 32 fucking years, they finally did it.
Holy fucking shit, it's....

Bumblebee (2018)


Previously with Transformers...
Short version, I loved the shit out of it.
Even better than Aquaman.
Second best of the fall/winter movies right after "Spider-Verse".

But, before I really dig into it, I have to tell the story of my history of waiting for this fucking movie.

As soon as the toys and cartoon show came out, my imagination envisioned a live-action movie.
I could totally see it in my mind's eye.

Now, I didn't see why it couldn't just be done in stop-motion, like the AT-ATs in ESB.
Aaaand, it could've been...for a quadrillion dollars, and 5-6 years of post-production.

But, if Phil Tippett was too pricey, I would have settled for someone animating the toys like "Robot Chicken".
Clearly, Hollywood didn't think they'd make their money off that.

Then....I think...87 or so...they did new buffers for the animated show with a live-action kid, and  stop-motion Optimus Prime.
And I was like "Yes!! Like that!! Make a whole movie like that!!!".
I still didn't understand budgets.

'88 rolls around, and Michael Jackson's "Moonwalker", comes out, and in the final act of that flick, he turns into a Transformer in CGI.
And for 80's CGI, it was pretty fucking impressive.
And again, I was like "YES!! Like THAT!!! Make a whole movie like THAT!!!".

I genuinely thought a live-action Transformers was coming in a couple years, tops.

I still didn't understand budgets, or that it probably melted an 80's super-computer into a glowing bubbling puddle to do that little bit of MJ transforming.
And MJ, crazy bastard that he was, probably paid for it out of his pocket.
Studio execs were stingier with the lettuce.

19 whole fucking years later, Michael Bay does the first Transformers movie in '07.
I'm like "YES!!! FINALLY!!! WHY DID IT TAKE SO FUCKING LONG!?!?!?!?!?! HERE WE GO!!!!!!! LET'S GOOOOO!!!!!!".

.....it and its four sequels were a big beer scented dude-bro belch in my face.

I gave up.

11 more years later, they finally hosed off the bong resin and Redbull, and gave me the movie I wanted when I was 12.
And they set it in the year I was 12.
They knew who this movie was apologizing to.

So, here's the rundown.
  • Again, finally. Fucking finally.
  • Yep, this delivered the goods.
  • Holy shit "The Touch", is in the soundtrack!
  • Holy shit, the 80's-ness of all the pop songs!!
  • Holy shit, the Speilberg-ness of the score!!
  • Holy shit, 1987 is one year after Transformers the animated movie came out!!
  • Holy shit, the Cybertron scene at the beginning!!! 
  • Holy shit, Soundwave! (and he does the voice!!)
  • Holy shit, Ravage!!
  • Holy shit, Shockwave!!
  • Holy shit, Ratchet!!!
  • Holy shit, Arcee!!!
  • Holy shit, Optimus!!!
  • Holy shit, the Decepticon planes!!
  • Holy shit, a guy was reading a Go-Bots comic!! Haha!! Yeah!!
  • Holy shit, Cliffjumper!! My first Transformer!!!
  • Holy shit, I don't want to violently kill the human cast!! I...LIKE them!!
  • Holy shit, my smile muscles are cramping up!!!!
  • Only slightly weak link? John Cena. He doesn't ruin it though.
Now I just need a time machine to send this to my 12 year old self.

Hell yeah, I'm buying this on Blu-Ray.
Transformers '86 and this are all I'll acknowledge.

Until this gets sequels.
There'd BETTER be sequels!!

Wouldn't that just fucking be the way though?
The other 5 pieces of shit rake in billions, and they finally make a good one, and no one goes to fucking see it?

That would just be the fucking way.
This fucking country.
*Laughs, shakes head*

Well, here's hoping I'm wrong.
Bring on Bumblebee 2 & 3.

And if you loved Transformers as a kid, go fucking support this.
This is the movie we've all been waiting for.
Give it money so we get more.


And up next for these, the fall/winter movies in review, and then all of 2018 in review.


No comments:

Blog Archive

Labels