Sunday, November 19, 2017

Ranking the DCEU so far (2017)


Previously-


Same drill as MCU, to give me a baseline for the new ones.
Here we go...














1. Wonder Woman

Best one so far, hands down.
The bar the others have to reach up for.
And going forward, it looks like she's going to be the Iron Man of the DCEU.
Who knew?
Certainly not DC.
Or sexist pig Hollywood.
Good on her.













2. Justice League

There's aspects to MoS and BvS that I like better, but the team interaction, and the characters easily push this up to second place for me.













3. Man Of Steel

An unrecognized masterpiece.
I predicted here that time and the building up of the DC universe would make this one more appreciated, and I stand by that.
Bladerunner took awhile to grow on people and become a classic, I think MoS and BvS will get there. At least in comic book nerd circles. But I think even the mainstreamies will eat crow in a couple decades.













4. Batman v Superman: Dawn Of Justice

Ditto MoS.
Settle for nothing less than The Ultimate Cut.
Watched this back-to-back with MoS as soon as it came out on Blu-Ray.
Magnificent. Go ahead, and set aside a day, and do that sometime. All the subtle ways they link up will make your jaw drop in awe at the detail Snyder actually puts into these. He's an unappreciated genius. Oh, he's not perfect, but his talent level can't be denied. He's a top tier director.
Hey, he casted Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman, even though no one else could see it. That's how smart he is.













5. Suicide Squad

Least good of them.
I even admitted it at the time.
I still stand by that I find it entertaining.
I re-watched this and BvS to prepare for JL.
I needn't have bothered with this, JL only references MoS, BvS, and WW.
This one hasn't aged well.
I see now that the third act is kinda cringe-y.
Even so, its flaws are worth it to see these characters be themselves and do their stuff.
I want more Joker, Harley, and Deadshot but in better movies.
Hopefully, all this Harley spinoff stuff in the development cauldron comes to pass.
We'll see. We. Will. See....


And that's DCEU phase 1.
See you next time for "Aquaman", and "Shazam".
And probably "Flashpoint".
And maybe Jake Gyllenhaal as reboot-Batman.
Rebootman?
Whatever, see you for whatever they cobble together into phase 2.


3 comments:

Billdude said...

So first BR2049 now JL tanks at the box office? Unpredictable this year...

Billdude said...

Above post is me BTW (Billdude)

Diacanu said...


The only thing you can hang your hat on at the box office, is that everything Disney touches will turn to gold.

All the other studios are throwing dice at the craps table.

Speaking of, I assume you heard Disney tried to buy Fox's movie and TV divisions?
On the one hand, scary monopoly, on the other hand, X-Men meets Avengers!!
Man, that would've been sweet.
But, talks fell through, and now every other scary monopoly wants to buy them.


Blog Archive

Labels