Monday, May 15, 2017

Ranking the MCU so far (2017)


Every new review for the latest entry, I say "not as good as this one", or "better than that one".
Well, with 15 down, now's as good a time as any to put them in order as a baseline for future entries.
So, without further ado...














1. Captain America: Civil War

A lot of people have Winter Soldier here, and I don't blame 'em, but for me, this edges it out just a smidge. It's the Spider-Man sprinkles on top that really put it over the top.













2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Whether you have this as your number 1 or 2, I said this one edged out Avengers at the time it came out, and I stand by it.













3. The Avengers

Was the best superhero movie ever made for quite awhile.
Still in the top 3, not too shabby.













4. Guardians Of The Galaxy

It's Guardians, nuff said.













5. Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2

I wish I could mash Vol 1 & 2 into one movie, and that it could occupy 4, but, no, doesn't work that way.













6. Iron Man

Seen it again recently, and it still holds up.
Prototypes of franchises usually don't.
A damn good movie that laid the tracks for everything else.













7. Dr. Strange

Again, wish I could have this in a tie for best standalone with Iron Man and Ant-Man.













8. Ant-Man

Ditto what I just said for Dr. Strange.













9. Avengers: Age Of Ultron

Been seeing this again rerun on Starz, and damn, it's good.
It gets better with re-watching.
But..I LOVE 1-8. Don't LOVE this one. Almost though....













10. Captain America : The First Avenger

Good start to an incredible trilogy, and retroactively the start of the whole universe.
But...again, don't love it.
Some do. Some have it right up in their top 5.
If you do, good for you.













11. Thor: The Dark World

Some people have this one their outright hate list.
It has flaws, but the good parts are really good.
Especially anything with Hiddleston's Loki.
Touching base with Loki in the aftermath of Avengers makes this one worth it.
Too bad Christopher Eccleston is so wasted.
I think that's the big source of bitterness for some fans.
I guess I can see that....
Also, so far, it blends into continuity second least of them all.
Maybe "Ragnarok", will tie it in better.













12. Thor

Same issues with the first Captain America.
Sets up a lot of great lore and characters that play out better later, but I just don't love it













13. The Incredible Hulk

I should have this higher, because I'm such a devoted Hulk-head, but...eh.
They were figuring this whole cinematic universe thing out.
Blends into continuity least of them all.
The re-casting of Ed Norton doesn't help.
Thunderbolt Ross in "Civil War", helps, so it balances out, but still...
The best of the standalone Hulks though.
He's much better in the Avengers flicks.
I'm betting heavily on "Thor: Ragnarok", being the best Hulk appearance ever.













14. Iron Man 3

At the time, I said this was the best of the 3 Iron Man standalones.
Eh...
I didn't have enough of phase 2 to compare it to.
And hey, wait, just noticed...the poster is a total rip of the "Thor: The Dark World", one!
Wait...chronologically...swap that.













15. Iron Man 2

Least good of them all, but still not bad.
IMHO, there isn't a BAD one of the bunch, just less and less good ones.
They're all watchable.
Plus, this one introduces Black Widow and War Machine, and they really pay off as great characters down the line.
Particularly Widow.
And the revelations in Winter Soldier and Civil War really give this one a boost when you go back to watch it.

So, there we go, and there they are.
See you next time for "Spider-Man: Homecoming", and "Thor: Ragnarok".


7 comments:

B. D. said...

Another Internet "dead mall". It really whips the llama's ass!!

http://www.techradar.com/news/rip-mp3-the-sound-file-that-changed-the-world-is-declared-dead

B. D. said...

Err....wasn't expecting this...

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/alien-covenant-2017

...then again, while he was still alive Ebert forked over a gracious 4 star review to "Prometheus"...

....I will say that on the basis of that description there may be some interesting things going on in this film besides xenomorph attacks.

B. D. said...

Gaahhh, this song is pretty untimely as of today....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PsLjEe6Ic0

Diacanu said...


MP3- That's pretty shocking. But, it was coming someday.
I'll put it in my 90's retrospective.

Covenant- It's my next flick to see. I didn't hate Prometheus, so if it's better than that, I'll be a happy camper.

Chris Cornell- *Sad sigh* yeah, been listening to his hits all day. Into the 90's retrospective he goes too.

As to that particular song, ouch!
But, look at Robin Williams.
In "World's Greatest Dad", his son hangs himself with a belt.
The press didn't zero in on that though.
I'm glad, I don't think they were connected.
Still, makes ya think.

I've got the book "Slash Of The titans", about the buildup to, and making of "Freddy Vs Jason".
Been reading that.
Why I've been scarce.
I'll toss up a review as my very next thing the second it's done.


Paladin said...

Ask me this question 5 different times, and I'll give you 5 different answers (though I'm pretty sure everything in the top, bottom, and middle thirds will be pretty consistent):

1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
2. Captain America: Civil War
3. Avengers
4. Guardians of the Galaxy
5. Iron Man
6. Avengers: Age of Ultron
7. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
8. Dr. Strange
9. Iron Man 3
10. Captain America: The First Avenger
11. Ant Man
12. Iron Man 2
13. Thor
14. Thor: The Dark World
15. The Incredible Hulk

I go back and forth on whether CA:TWS or CA:CW is the best of the Marvel films, but I hold firmly to the belief that one or the other of them is. The freshness of Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Iron Man, put them near the top. Ulton, Guardians v2, Dr. Strange, Iron Man 3, CA:TFA, and Ant Man are middle entries that are a lot of fun, but not quite the top tier. Iron Man 2, the Thors, and the Hulk bring up the rear and, though I enjoy them (and parts of them I really like), I seldom get the urge to revisit them.

B. D. said...

I wonder how many people even *saw* "World's Greatest Dad." I know it got some good reviews.

Chris Cornell put out one album that was just one long track but everyone hated it. Soundgarden also had a song called "The Day I Tried To Live."

Diacanu said...


Paladin-

Yeah, I too could rank them your way depending on what day it is.

BD-

You should really check out all of Bobcat Goldthwait's flicks.
Except the one that's a Bigfoot ripoff of "Blair Witch", that one blows chunks.

Blog Archive

Labels