Sunday, June 18, 2023

The Flash (2023)




(Still haven't seen Black Adam, and Shazam 2 (screw it, I hear they're lame))

Holy shit; assembling that list, I realize, that the last DCEU movie I saw in the theater was frigging Harley Quinn just before covid landed.

And its been 10 years and 1 day since I started the DCEU journey with "Man Of Steel".

So! Did this flick justify that journey?
Well, it won't undo the clunkers along the way, but yeah.
I'm happy with it.

So, is this DC's answer to "No Way Home" and "Multiverse Of Madness"?
Essentially, yes.

Does it stack up to those?
Hmm... Tricky...

Our main multiverse interaction is with Michael Keaton Batman.
That delivers the goods like gangbusters.

Our main baddies are Zod and Faora, and while they aren't as complex characters as the Spidey villains, seeing them back is nice.

Oh, and Sasha Calle is excellent as Supergirl, but her fate is left up in the air, so I dunno if she's coming back, or she's a one-off. 
She's kind of this movie's America Chavez.

All the other multiverse cameos that pop up (see spoilers) are even quicker than the Illuminati scene in "Multiverse".

Yeah, I'd put it in between NWH and MoM.

How does it stack up to the rest of DCEU?
Among the best.
Not a masterpiece like MoS, but certainly better than Shazam or Harley Quinn.

A worthy followup to the Justice League trilogy, and I personally consider it the final chapter to the whole DCEU/Snyder-verse, even though we've got Aquaman 2 left to go.

Once I own it on disk, I can't decide whether to marathon it with JL trilogy, or Batman '89 and Batman Returns. Or both! We shall see!

Now!! for the spoiler stuff!!

Spoiler review-
.
.
.
.
.
.
Okay!
Now on to those cameos!!

-Michael Keaton Batman (of course, but he's more than a cameo)
-Nick Cage Superman (fighting a spider!!)
-Cesar Romero Joker (only his laugh in the background)
-A generic CGI person as Jay Garrick Flash in the George Reeves universe

So!! The Following things are canon now!

-The Adventures Of Superman  (AKA Superman '52)
-Superman Lives (even though it technically doesn't exist except for the scene in this movie)

And via the Ezra Miller cameo in "Crisis On Infinite Earths" all of this.

Frustratingly, both of them skipped over Lynda Carter Wonder Woman!!
But! She cameos as another character in "Wonder Woman 1984" so it's all good.

And, there we have it!


Should you go see it?
Sure!
Especially if you've been watching all these DC movies all your life!
Whether you started with Christopher Reeve, or Henry Cavill.


Next big multiverse movie is Deadpool 3.
Stay tuned!


4 comments:

B. D. said...

I'm not really interested in seeing this, but whose idea was it to bring back George Clooney Batman?!? Surely it wasn't his!!

Are they doing it just BECAUSE they know everyone hates that movie?

Diacanu said...


Pasted from my Facebook...

https://www.darkhorizons.com/flash-elemental-flops-raise-concerns/

Sss, ouch. I almost added to my Flash review, and it was at the tip of my tongue to do so, if you already HATE the DCEU, Flash isn't going to turn you around. I enjoyed the Hell out of it, but it's no Infinity War. Maine's theater tickets used to be the cheapest in the US, but even we're up to $13 now. If you need to have your ass blown out of the seat every single time to justify the cost, well...that just can't be maintained. Don't look for AI to do any better.


Diacanu said...


Re: Clooney-Bats.

They had three other versions of the ending that got changed every time Warners changed hands, and James Gunn finally came up with the Clooney one. To get him, they showed him the script, and the cut of the movie they had so far, and he dug it, and agreed.

I'm glad he did; I dunno what else they could have done that would have nailed it as a final punchline as well.
I heard the other endings they had, and they were kinda "meh".




B. D. said...

Tickets are expensive here in MHK too, but I can always skip the 1300-calorie milkshake.

I'm going to see "Dial Of Destiny," "Oppenheimer" and new "Mission: Impossible" in theaters this year, so I'm not throwing in the towel yet, though theater experiences like "Suicide Squad" have kind of made me despondent from time to time.

I wondered if it was some sort of Joel Schumacher tribute, but I guess not.

Blog Archive

Labels