Monday, January 8, 2024

Snyder-verse looking back: Part 1.7, re-assessing the DCEU so far.


I said in part 1....

I was going to wait for the last movies of this series to come out, but I really wanna do it now.
I don't really think the remaining 4 films will change my mind much.
If I'm wrong, I can do a part 2.
Anyway...

I didn't want to wait for part 2.
Let's just look back.....















Then- Best of the DCEU up to that point.

Now- I stand by that. Its held its place as top tier.















Then- Not horrible; a just-this-side-of-watchable mixed bag.

Now- I stand by that. It's on the lowest tier.















Then- I was wavey hand on it, and couldn't get Christopher Reeve out of my head.

Now- Its grown on me over the years, and now I love it. Top tier.















Then- Loved the shit out of it.

Now- A rough draft compared to the extended cut.















Then - Loved the shit out of it.

Now- Haven't wavered on that. Top tier.















Then- It was only movie #3, so I convinced myself I loved it.

Now- Further movies bumped it down, down, down. It's lowest tier now.
But even lowest tier is still watchable.
It's the origin episode of Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn, and I think she's done well by the character.
Worth it now to see her as baby-Harley just starting out.















Then- Loved it, but even then, I was hesitant to put it up there with Avengers. I put it between Avengers 1 and 2. It had issues even when I had my just-watched-it goggles on.

Now- I spit it on the floor like spoiled apple. Everything that made it good was Snyder's stuff. 
Joss Whedon sickens me now. I still love Avengers 1, the non-problematic bits of Avengers 2, and Firefly, but anything new he does can go blow. 















Then- That's more fucking like it!!!!!!!
Now that's up there with Avengers, Dark Knight, etc.

Now- I stand by that. Top tier.















Then- I convinced myself it was top tier. 

Now- Ehh. I don't join in with the haters, but it's about mid-tier now. 
The prettiest and most epic of the mid-tiers. But mid-tier, yeah.
Like, the Shang-Chi of DC.















Then- Convinced myself it was top tier.

Now- Upper mid-tier with Aquaman.
The Ant-Man of DC.















Then- DC's Deadpool.

Now- I stand by it. Upper mid-tier.















Then- Not the best James Gunn; not the best Harley Quinn; liked it a lot, didn't love it.

Now- I stand by that. Lower mid-tier.















Then- Lower mid-tier.

Now- I stand by it.















Then- Upper mid-tier next to its predecessor.

Now- Yep.















Then- Neglected to rank it on the scale of other DCEU's but I'd go upper mid-tier with the Shazams.

Now- Yep.















Then- Didn't rank it; I'd have to say lower mid-tier just ahead of Black Adam by this > < much.

Now- Yep.


Numerically, that's the missing 4 films; but Blue Beetle threw it off, because it was supposed to go straight to streaming.

So, Aquaman 2 left to go!
Stay tuned!


No comments:

Blog Archive

Labels