Friday, June 29, 2018

Ten years of Shmegalamonga!!!!!!!!!!










Like I said last year...

I'll do a big retrospective for year 10 like I did for year 4.
See you then!

Here we are, and here we go....



Year one.

I was a babe in the woods figuring it all out.
Very unsure of myself.
Ironic, given I got more visits and encouragement in those days.
I think it was because blogs were still more of a thing back then.
Everyone Facebooks, Instagrams, Reddits, and Twitters more now.

I Facebook, but the blog lets me organize and illustrate my thoughts better.
I'm never giving this thing up.
This is my show.



Year two.

We crossed over into the 2010's.

I got the Dingoo. Holy shit, that's 8 years old now!!
I fiddled with that just yesterday.
Played Rampage via TV output.

Was still trying various things out.
Political commentary, etc.
Was still figuring it out.



Year three.

2011 was a rough year.
"The year of Hell", started here.
Still have the trauma from that.

In spite of that, finished off Dark Designs, and created the original Krazy for decades, which evolved into En-Mike-lopedia, and I created Dr. Herbert, who ended up in Jade-Shade.

All of that while having my first and worst bout of gout.

Not bad, actually.
I looked down on this year in year 4's retrospective, but I was shaken by depression and the shit I was going through.
I was actually plugging away pretty heroically when I think about it.



Year four.

Quite possibly the most creatively explosive year ever.

Published the first Harry book.

Did the first En-Mike-lopedia.

Did the first big blog overhaul.

Found Hyla, and he started his blog.

Hmm, damn, shrugging off the gout, and my mother not being dead really lit a fire under my ass!



Year five.

Gotta say, that's still my favorite logo ever.
And I created it by accident.
A random series of button pushes in Irfanview I can't re-create.

All the stuff I started in year 4 was continuing on, and I started Jade-Shade.

Got all the Harry books published.

Did the second big overhaul.

Started the calendar pages.

Damn, the rocket from year 4 was still strapped to my ass, I was really going for it!



Year six.

Still sequel-izing everything from years 4-5.

Still chipping away at Jade-Shade.

I did a superhuman bingewatch of shows I missed.

I did the hardest Halloween ever, and almost crippled my brain.

Shit, I really busted my ass on year 6, I was not slacking.
Safe to say, I'd figured out what I wanted to do, and was chasing it with confidence and gusto!



Year seven.

Arrgh, that's my least favorite logo.
I really hate it.
I should have broken the sacred rules, and changed it.

Still sequel-izing everything from years 4-6.

Still pecking away at Jade-Shade.

I think I had a comfy groove going on.
I never again busted my ass as hard as in year six.
That was way too much.
I think I frightened people.



Year eight.

Ecch, ugly logo.
Was trying to re-capture year 5's.
See how hard?
Can't be done.
Still better than year 7 though.

2016, mass celebrity die-off, and fucking Trump election.
Not a good year.

Well, except it being the big Ghostbusters:ATC year.
I'll always fondly remember that.

Abandoned En-Mike-lopedia.
It was the start of me whittling away the things I don't need in favor of the things I really want to focus on.

Still pecking away at everything else, including Jade-Shade.
Still in a comfy groove.
Perhaps too comfy....



Year nine.

Finally finished goddamned Jade-Shade!!

Hyla quit his blog, and erased himself from the internet like he's hiding from federales or something.
*Shrug* go figure.
No clue what's up with that.
But I'm not gonna play hide-n-seek either.
Too old for that bullshit.

Still in my uncomfortably comfy groove, and starting to rebel against it.



This year.

Did my gigantic 90's retrospective that I had an absolute fucking blast with, and was a big dose of therapy for me.

Did a big tour/overhaul of the whole blog in preparation for today.
That was a nice memory lane bit of therapy too.

Abandoned calendar day.

I'm not doing big Halloweens anymore.

I'm not doing big Christmases anymore.

I overhauled movie reviews to go by year instead of season.

The MCU turned 10.

Ghostbusters ATC is still being sequel-ized in comics.

Still tapping my foot waiting for the animated GB movie.


Plus, the usual personal anniversaries...

Harry turned 29.

The Harry books turned 6.

Jade-Shade turned 5.

Krazyfool's Den Of Delusion turned 19.

Harry Hembock: Dark Designs turned 9.

Krazyfool Show turned 18, didn't observe it.


Aaaand, yep, that's all of that.

In final review, years 1-8 I was building up, years 9-10 I was tearing down, and streamlining.

And now, for year 11's logo.





Purty, eh?
Yeah, they finally have speedy automated logo making sites, so I don't have to struggle anymore.
I'll never hand-make one as good as year 5 again, I'll leave it to the programming geeks.


And, that's been a decade of Shmegalamonga.
Hope you've enjoyed it!
Now to get started on decade two!!


6 comments:

B. D. said...

I'll keep checking this place for sure. Re: Hyla, didn't know Hyla but I do have a pet peeve for when people just quit the Internet cold turkey. But that's because I wouldn't have the verve to do so m'self.

2011 was your hell year? I think mine's this year but I'm only suffering from slight depression, there was no actual tragedy for me. I wouldn't know what hell is...

Will let you know if "Hereditary" turns out to live up to the hype, or whether or not it's yet another hugely acclaimed "torture the heroine" horror film that gets huge acclaim but leaves me cold ("The Descent," "The Babadook" and "Drag Me To Hell" all come to mind.)

B. D. said...

Pretty good article about Harlan Ellison's relationship with TV.

https://tv.avclub.com/harlan-ellison-was-tv-s-rejected-son-and-its-harshest-1827256001

Diacanu said...


Forgive the late replies, the heatwave is scrambling my brain.
I'll give good replies once it's cool enough to think.

B. D. said...

Yeah this was like the worst, muggiest May/June ever out here....not so much as a single day of "summer's here! But it's moist and slightly cool in the mornings!" weather in Kansas in 2018. Thanks Trump!!!

Diacanu said...



Thought I'd have something to say about that Ellison article, but it pretty much said it all.

Diacanu said...



Logo change link to keep it handy for next year.

https://dickynoo.blogspot.com/2019/02/logo-change.html

Blog Archive

Labels