Monday, December 21, 2009

"Science is a faith!".

Ugh...

I meant to do one on this, indeed, I thought to throw it into Dicky-Pedia, but just plumb forgot.


Anyway, my memory was jogged Googling for Hubble images, and stumbling onto this steaming load.

Ugh, what a thing to taint Hubble pics with...

Guy's clearly got daddy problems, but sifting that out from the whining, and the core argument seems to boil down to "waahh!! Scientists and skeptics are intolerant and close-minded!!".

Well, that's answered brilliantly and decisively in this video here.

Then, there's some attempting to muddy the waters around the edges with appeals to quantum woo, and there's a whole book devoted to knocking that silliness down.

I've had it in my reading/viewing list for awhile now.

This fella could've just made himself a little bit more literate, and had his white-knuckled frustrations eased.

I'm sure his daddy, and science teachers, told him something along those lines, and he took that as "condescending".

Enough so to "DESPISE", them.

Yeah, that's healthy.

Anyway, these bad arguments, and the sniffle-voiced teenage rebel attitude wrapped around them, are ones I've run into quite a bit, and this guy sounded a total clone of the more unpleasant people I've had the misfortune of debating with, so, I figured it was yet another argument pattern I'd like to put to bed, by having as a permanent and handy link.

And, I'll be retro-linking this into the entry on "spirituality", so it'll be part of Dicky-Pedia after all.

It's an argument I never want to fucking have again, it's quite loathsome.

2 comments:

Zucca said...

I really enjoyed your article regarding my article. Yes, I did write that several years ago, and it was merely teenage angst driven. It's funny, because I haven't been on this blog in over a year, only to find your amusing riposte when I logged on today.

I definitely agree with you, it is mindless fluff I wrote as a ticked off 17 year old. However, I am not a guy, and I have a great relationship with my "daddy." I would probably have deleted that post long ago, but I get so many hits on it each day, it would be a shame to lose it now.

Happy Holidays!
Shan

Diacanu said...

Wow, someone who's arguments I critiqued/lampooned without them taking it personally, and wanting to fry my head in garlic butter!

You're a refreshing step up from some people I know.

Well, thanks, glad you enjoyed it, and I wish you well.

Season's greetings.

Blog Archive

Labels