Friday, May 24, 2019

Big 2019 Movies Part 7.


It's a bird, it's a plane, it's....


Brightburn (2019)


Let's get right to the rundown...
  • I dug it.
  • It delivered the goods of what it promised.
  • It is what it looks like, Evil Superman gone R rated crazy.
  • Very gory. I could have used more, but I'm a weirdo.
  • Us Gen-X-er Elseworlds and Vertigo readers were totally ready for this. I dunno if the general public is. The reaction is going to be interesting.
  • You can tell how the suits categorize these things by the trailers you get. I got "Spider-Man: Far From Home", "Dark Phoenix", and "IT: Chapter Two". Of course, I'm gonna see all 3 of those flicks anyway, so....
  • It'll be interesting to see how this does. It only cost 7 million, so if its opening weekend is just 10, it profits. I definitely don't think it's gonna make "IT", money.
  • I wanna see weird things like this succeed so we get more. Not necessarily sequels to this, but just more things that play with the genre formula, and color outside the lines.
  • Compared to what I've seen so far, I liked it a smidge better than "Pet Sematary", definitely better than "Hellboy", I think....I'd put it tied with "Glass". Yeah, that's about right.
  • I won't compare it to the Marvel/DC stuff, that's on it's own level.
  • Not for kids. I had 3 unsupervised little dickhead kids up in the front row. I dunno if they stayed for the whole thing, they were vanished when the lights came up. Happy nightmares, ya little idiots. Muahahhaa!
  • Yeah, I'm glad I saw it.

If you're saving your theater money for the big giant Marvel/DC/Pixar/Star Wars stuff, you could probably wait for cable/streaming, but if you have a couple extra bucks you don't know what to do with, and you have dark tastes, check this out.
Give it a whirl.


Next up, in two weeks, Dark Phoenix!!!


1 comment:

Paladin said...

Totally agree. It delivers on what the trailer promises.

Blog Archive

Labels