Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Big 2019 Movies Part 5.


And we're right back to superheroes with....


Hellboy (2019)


Previously with Hellboy...

Big fat wavey hand.
Better luck next reboot, Hellboy.

If you don't compare it to the Del Toro ones (tall order) and shut off your brain, and let it wash over you as a big dumb death-metal t-shirt come to life, you can have some fun with it.

But I'd still recommend waiting for rental.

It tries to be a Sam Raimi movie in spots....but not quite...

Y'know what?
I think I even like Josh Trank Fantastic 4 better than this.
At least that was trying something, and even when it fails at that something, and lands face first in the mud, it's still interesting.

I mean, this flick has got blood, and guts, and big dumb fights with giants with metal music,....but you just don't care.

It's a shame, David Harbour is a fun Hellboy, Ian McShane is....Ian McShane, and Milla Jovovich is a foxy little ham-bone as the villain.

But the script is a dud.
I couldn't quote you any lines.
Nothing stands out.

I didn't give a shit about the girl sidekick.
I barely cared about the were-leopard guy.

I kept thinking "just get to the Hellboy vs Nimue fight already, they're the only good characters".
Shit, I was half rooting for Nimue to win.

No, it's not great, it's not worth a theater ticket...but it's not "a failure on every single level", like some critics are saying.
It's not ruin your life bad, it's just....meh.
Critics are drama queens.

I'm glad I saw it, it could have been good, and then I would have missed something.

Now that I have seen it, I can say with informed honesty, give it a pass.
Until rental, or cable.


Up next, ENDGAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


No comments:

Blog Archive

Labels