Thursday, August 4, 2011

"I Am Nancy", Came In The Mail...

All righty, let's see...

So, I'd been waiting for this since "Never Sleep again", came out, and I saw the trailer for it on the bonus disk.

And it ended up taking a year, but, I'm glad it did, the year of gestation made it better.

...like that DECADE I waited for "Freddy Vs. Jason",....*mumble grumble*.

So, I waited for my birthday to finally order it, and that's been just about a week ago.

I described it then as a sequel/companion to "Never Sleep Again", and...while they do compliment each other, "I Am Nancy", is its own entity.

And as I hinted in the birthday entry, I was a bit worried about if it would be good or not, but...hey, Robert Englund interview, at least there'll be that.

Any other parts are good, that'll be gravy, I figured.

Well, it's all gravy, so it's all good.

It was really frikkin' great, I watched it twice.

Not right in a row, I had to stop to get a Hungry Man dinner into me.

But yeah, aside from that, back to back.

Everything's great. Heather, Robert, Wes, the convention people, the editing is excellent, it flows along nice and smooth.

You'll laugh, you'll cry.

The bit with Wes Craven's daughter was really good, I think that exposes the deepest secret of the "Nightmare", films.
I won't spoil that at all.

The bit with no Nancy action figure....that is perplexing.

Just the logistics of it baffle me.

Now, if I'm a business man, and my business is horror memorabilia, and I know anything about horror, I'm gonna know, the fan favorite after the first NOES, tends to be "Dream Warriors".

So, it's a no brainer, churn out all the Dream Warriors.
And, if you do the Dream Warriors, you gotta do Nancy.
She's their trainer/guru, no Nancy, no Dream Warriors.
No Dream Warriors, no goddamned Dokken song.
None of it happens.
Whole thing unravels.

Then, you do Nightmare 3 Nancy, you gotta go back, and do Nightmare 1 Nancy.

Even in cold-blooded bean counting, it tracks.

They'd sell, they'd totally sell, you know it, I know it.

Jesus, they've got a Patrick Bateman from "American Psycho", and a Goblin King from "Labyrinth".
That's pretty fuckin' niche.
They're willing to pour plastic for that...come on.

IIII dunno what the thinking is there...

But then, businesses do inexplicable shit.
Like Virtual Boy, and New Coke, and milk in a bag, and DIVX.

As for what I think of the character, and thought of her over the years...hmm, yeah, I was always impressed by her pluckiness.

I always liked all the Elm Street kids.

That's what set that series apart.

The Jason flicks always went the other way, and had a bunch of jerks you wanted to see stabbed in the eye.
They were like the people you were stuck with on your worst job ever.

You wanted to hang with the Elm Street kids.
Well, until folks started dying, then you had to evacuate the friggin' town.
But, y'know.

As for her as a cinema hero...hmm, I was always an Ash kid on that score..

Maybe I shouldn't have been.
You look at the Evil Dead films...and Ash actually CAUSES the mayhem that he has to turn around and fix.

Maybe I could relate to being a fuckup more, I dunno.

But yeah, you think about it, Nancy actually does take Freddy out.
She delivers the goods as a heroine.

Geez, one has to strain to think of movies that have that, even today.
Could probably count 'em all on two hands and a foot.

Well, that's all my thoughts on this flick, I guess.

Final verdict, you gotta order both of these if you're at all into the Nightmare films.

I Am Nancy.

Never Sleep Again.

Doo eeet!

No comments:

Blog Archive

Labels