Sunday, October 14, 2012

Happy 18th Anniversary, New Nightmare!


Crap, in the heat of Franken-fest, almost forgot...


Review is here, but it's another one I lazily linked (like last time), so here it really is...

Wes Craven's New Nightmare.

I gave a fist pump and a "YES!!!", when the ads came out for this.
I knew Freddy wasn't dead.
Well...it's an interesting film.
You'll hear that line a lot from fans.
Well, Bob Shaye himself says it "it was cerebral, but not scary".
But, I happen like the cerebral stuff it does.
It's an interesting reflection on the series, particulalry the first one, I like all the ways it mirrors the first one, I like its brutal sendup of Hollywood, and its stepping outside of the Freddy fandom phenomenon.
And I like the way it plays with the layers of reality moreso than the first one.
It's...kind of a bonus feature.
You wouldn't watch this at all unless you were a fan of the series.
And it's kind of a prelude to the "Never Sleep Again", documentary.
I like it.
It's grown on me.
Well, I go back and forth with it.
But, so does Craven himself.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Labels