Monday, October 29, 2012

Godzilla-gala (Part 1.5)


Okay, let's see if hurricane Sandy will let me complete these....

Yeah, last time, I said I'd be doing the Heisei series, but, before I get to that, I feel I gotta fill in the middle years between Showa, and Heisei.


Godzilla: King Of The Monsters  
(1977-1979)


The comic/history-

From Marvel.

From here.

Godzilla and Marvel.

So, the Godzilla toy was somehow connected to the Shogun Warriors line, and he came with the package.



Godzilla toy
(1977)

 




The toy-

1977? That can't be right, I got mine at 6 years old...
Well...I guess he hung around that long...

The history-

That spring loaded punch was pretty fuggin' powerful.

Had a whole dramatic incident where I fell into the open bulkhead of the cellar of the house from the top of the foundation (it was just being built).

So, I was all cut up and bloody from that, and all the crying and drama had just simmered down...and then my uncle punched me in the face with Godzilla.

Shit like that makes for a Youtube moment nowadays....
I can laugh at it now.

Anyway, I didn't hold a grudge, this was one of the best toys ever.
He could defeat any action figure ever, he was 2 feet tall, and he could really take a pounding.
Thick plastic, a baseball bat couldn't crack it.
They really don't make toys like this anymore.

Here's the commercial.





The Godzilla Power Hour  (1978)


The show- 

From Hanna Barbera.

The history-

Intro says it all.




So, with all those goodies, Godzilla stayed in the public consciousness up until the 80's reboot.

Up next, Heisei series.


No comments:

Blog Archive

Labels