Sunday, July 30, 2023

Happy 48th birthday to myself!

Previous years.

-47th (Didn't celebrate*, so only did loot, so there's that part 1, 2, 3)

Added a birthday tag, so future ones won't need a link back.

*As for not celebrating...I dunno...I think Nichelle Nichols dying re-activated my Margaret grief, so I was probably drowning my sorrows in prezzies, and I absent-mindedly forgot the actual birthday part.
Yeah, that seems like me. 
Probably what I did.

By way of needing inspiration, let's see what 39 year old me was saying...

Last year, I navel gazed about how I no longer give a shit about society's opinion.
Now, I don't even give a shit that I don't give a shit.

There's no longer a speck of me left that's on the defensive, and I feel even pluckier about not taking anyone's shit.

Good advice.
May need it this year.

And that year was also the year I quested for all those lost movies and comics.
Thanks, past-me.
Future-you needed the pick-me-up.

I knew storing those acorns would be handy.

Why not 38th to be an even 10 years?
Because my finger missed, and 39th was better anyway. 😜

Oh, and here will be the placeholder for the loot reviews.

Stay tuned. 


3 comments:

B. D. said...

I hope your birthday didn't somehow kill Paul Reubens.

RIP, poor guy never lived down the jerkoff incident entirely but it did spawn two very funny moments, when he went on the VMAS the next year and went "HEARD ANY GOOD JOKES LATELY?" and Jim Carrey's career peak:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wwyzGge-S0

He also had the only moment worth watching in the original "Buffy The Vampire Slayer" movie.

Diacanu said...



I miss him already.
I wish some cable network somewhere would syndicate Pee-Wee's Playhouse.

His second and third Pee-Wee movies are ass, but "Big Adventure" is still a masterpiece.
He saved Tim Burton's career from the garbage bin, you know!
The first iteration of "Frankenweenie" bombed so hard, Burton was on the way out, but Reubens demanded him for "Big Adventure" and it was a hit, and the rest is history for Burton.
I mean, yeah, Burton is like a used up boxer now, but we got his good ones.
"Pee-Wee's Big Adventure" "Edwards Scissorhands" "Beetlejuice" "Batman" "Batman Returns".
"Ed Wood". I've always liked "Mars Attacks". I'm part of that small cult.
I see it as an unintentional parody of "Independence Day" that stands the test of time better than "Independence Day".
We have Pee-Wee to thank for all of those.
Without his intervention, Tim Burton ends up in a dumpster with a banana peel on his head.



B. D. said...

I recently saw some clips of Burton, still only a day past 30 or so, directing the original "Batman." He was running this way and that and being real frantic and shit. It's kind of amazing he ever got it made.

"Batman Returns" - If I accept that this thing was an abominably tongue-in-cheek *parody* of sick minded comic book/movie violence, I can accept the film. If Burton meant it straight, the film itself is sick-minded. Seriously, to this day I can't think of a nastier kiddie movie than "Batman Returns."

I don't think I can be arsed to re-watch "Mars Attacks!!" to see if I still hate it that much (it got dethroned by "What The Bleep Do We Know?!?" as the worst movie I've ever seen a long time ago, anyway) but I'll gladly watch "Ed Wood" time and time again.

"Independence Day"...well, I have fond memories of seeing it when I was 13, but I'd have to be 13 to take it the least bit seriously. Especially the parts with Randy Quaid, who since has gone legitimately insane.

"Oppenheimer" is three hours of people talking and a loud nuke scene. I thought it was decent for what it was (and maybe RD Jr. will get an Oscar for playing Oppenheimer's nemesis) but the fact that people are going to the theaters in droves to sit through three hours of talking speaks VOLUMES about Christopher Nolan's ability to sell a movie. (I'll need to watch it again, too.)

Blog Archive

Labels