Tuesday, December 27, 2016

RIP Carrie Fisher.

Future-me from 5/7/24 finally getting around to this one.




She passed in between my first and second viewings of "Rogue One".
As I hinted at in the second one, I had family health issues going on at the time, so I was already too fucking bummed out to deal with it.

Of course, "The Last Jedi" was the last one Carrie was actually in.

Chewie breaking down in "Rise of Skywalker" said for all of us.
FX plowed through all of the movies; sequels, prequels, anthologies, everything, this Star Wars day, so I was forced (heh, pun) to think about all of this.

Lotta debate in fandom over whether the sequel trilogy either caused, or accelerated her death.
I think it was a perfect storm.
She needed to lose weight for the role, she chose the cocaine diet, flying on a plane coked up can kill you, and this time, it did.
Someone should have kept the coke away from her, but she was a diabolical ninja.
In 20/20 hindsight, I think her days were numbered as soon as George Lucas sold to Disney.
Lucas was always going to sell. The buyer was always going to do sequels. One domino after another.
I dunno if even a time traveler could have stopped it.
I think she was like Jim Morrison and Elvis. 
It's fucking heartbreaking.

Weird that both of my boyhood sci-fi crushes (the other being Margot Kidder) had substance and mental illness problems, and are both gone.
I try not to get gloomy. I think about the great stuff, and memories, feelings they left behind.

Speaking of my boyhood crush; favorite Leia hairdo?
Pretzel head, Cloud City, ESB.
Yeah, I know, everyone went ga-ga over the ANH buns.
Was never into the buns. 
Pretzel head, that worked for me. Couldn't tell ya why.

I reviewed "Wishful Drinking" way back in 2013.
I didn't wanna own it then; now I wanna.
Now it's a keepsake.

Yeah...I should do a Margot Kidder one of these too.

I'll retro-link this into "Rogue One" viewing 2, and Star Wars day of 2017.


No comments:

Blog Archive

Labels