Friday, March 2, 2012

Superhero TeeVee Forever-Addendum.


Oh, I just knew I'd forget some...I said it, didn't I?



The Wizard


The show-

David Rapport from "Time Bandits", plays a special-effects wizard, inventor, and toymaker, who fights crime.

David was an awesome guy, cool in everything he was in, but, this thing was cancelled, and he had a hard time getting work because of the whole dwarf thing, and committed suicide.

The history-

Loved the shit out of this as a kid, Youtube clips reveal it was kinda...clunky...
All the same, dammitall, I miss David Rappaport.

I struggled  in the back of my mind with whether to throw this in with the other ones, but...fuck it, it's my review series, I can bend the rules.
And I have before, so...why did I hold back?
*Shrug* I unno...
I was gonna toss this into part four, but...I found a couple others, so, I figured, might as well do a fresh one.


Voyagers!


The show-

A guy and a kid have this circular Star Trek communicator thing with a spherical gem in it that lets them travel time with the ease of a channel change.
It also detects disruptions in the timeline that they have to go and fix.

So....it's like a fancy version of "Mister Peabody and Sherman".

The history-

So, the star of this shot himself in the head with a blank not knowing it could kill you, and, it did.
It was on the set of some other show though.

I faintly remember liberal nervous nannies wanting to ban blanks, or some bullshit, but...if they had succeeded, movies and TV would've been ruined.

What were we supposed to do, assholes, read Chomsky, and churn butter?
Fuck you.


The Phoenix


The show-

An ancient astronaut in suspended animation is awoken.
And, he's got powers, natch.

Starring Khan's sidekick from "Wrath of Khan".

The history-

Stumbled on to this, and "Voyagers!", while digging up "The Wizard".
And...I was hard pressed finding a pic where the dude wasn't flashing his pecs, so, I gave in.

So...figured "ah...shit, may as well give in on the rest of the 80's shows too, to fill up the category..".


Blue Thunder


The show-

Based on the film "Blue Thunder", but, apparently, the show version was a total dud.

The history-

Yes, I singled out Dana Carvey for the pic.
Can you imagine the alternate timeline where he became known as "The Blue Thunder guy", instead of "the SNL guy"?
That would have been...something.


Airwolf


The show-

Total ripoff cash-in on "Blue Thunder", but their show got there first, and did a better job.

The history-

Like "Knight Rider", I didn't watch this much when it was originally on...


The A-Team


The show-

Covered 'em here.

The history-

See above.

Eh, let's chuck some more in...um...


Beastmaster


The show-

Yep, this existed.

The movies were better, and the sequels sucked, so, that's saying something.

Total cash-in on the Hercules/Xena thing.

The history-

N/A


Conan


The show-

Yep, this existed too.

Hey, Mickey from Seinfeld!

Same as "Beastmaster", Hercules/Xena cash-in, movies were better.

The history-

N/A


Legend of the Seeker


The show-

Based on the "Sword of Truth", series of books starting off with "Wizard's First Rule".

Couldn't tell ya how faithful to the books this was, but, it wasn't terrible.
Actually had a bit of wit to it.
Watchable.

The history-

N/A


Krod Mandoon:
and The Flaming Sword Of Fire



The show-

A Comedy Central spoof of the fantasy stuff above.

Try to imagine...if the "It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia", guys got ahold of a fantasy show.
Like that.

The history-

*Shrug* I thought it was a fuckin' riot.
TV execs disagreed, apparently.


Eh...that's it for now, I'm sure to think of more...

Up tonight: The Silver Age, I promise.


No comments:

Blog Archive

Labels