Thursday, August 13, 2009

Location blogging #2.

All righty, got out to the Portland area today, and all points in between....


Here's Borders out next to the Maine Mall.

I actually did a video journal in my car, but, the audio came out shitty, and I was a bit nervous talking to myself with yuppies walking by, so...didn't come out so good, so, I'll re-create my thoughts here.

Well, Borders is okay, but...Amazon is cheaper.

And I don't have to put up with the mix of stop-and-start, and Road Warrior traffic, like I do getting into fucking Portland.

And I don't have to put up with latte sucking yuppies.

So....what's the downside of Amazon, and the upside of Borders exactly?

Eh, maybe if I had an entourage of homies to hang with like "Friends"....

*Shrug*

So, Borders pretty much drove out Bookland.
I liked Bookland.
Little cozier, clerks were more familiar, just was a little nicer.

But, they're dead now.

And, they bought out the Waldenbooks inside the mall, and then that went under, so, that stands husked out with one of those "in development", boxes wrapped around it.

Probably gonna be another fucking clothing store.

That's all that's left in the mall.
Clothes, and cellphones, and cell phone accessories.
And DVDs, but that's something else that's cheaper at Amazon.

If Sharon hadn't turned me on to Lindt chocolates, I wouldn't have had any reason to go there at all today.

Hmm, shoulda took some pics wandering the corridors of the mall.
Dammit.
Well, fuck it, I ain't going back.

...shit, I would like a bag of those cream and raspberry jelly filled Lindts...okay, fuck, I'll have to go back again...they're so fuckin' good....

Dammit...

You win this round, Portland....

Okay, couple more shots...

This is from the sidewalk along Macey's heading back to Borders.
The red arrow shows where the mini-mall is that used to have Bookland.

Okay, coming around the corner, better view....

...there's the mini-mall across the street.

Red arrow is right where Bookland was.

I miss you, Bookland....so....damned...much....*grinds teeth*....*chokes back angry tears*....

Blue arrow is fuckin' Mcdonalds.
They're everywhere.
Like cancer in a colon.

Green arrow is where Zayre's used to be.
Pretty much a K-Mart knockoff.
Then the whole chain got bought out, and became Ames.
Then the whole Ames chain went under, and...now they're a fuckin' sporting goods store.

I dunno, Zayre's was kinda trashy, but...had a childhood connection to it, y'know?

Everything familiar goes away......*sigh*

Well....there's Newberry comics, and that's a pretty decent geek hangout...but...I feel too old.
Everyone there's teenagers.

Nowhere to go.
Nowhere to goddamned go.

If you're not into sports bars, and/or dance clubs, you're fucked.
Y'know?

Just nowhere to fucking go.

Whelp, that's about all of Portland I could stand.

So, heading back....


...okay, so once one gets past all the traffic lights that suck 10 minutes out of your life, and the maniacs, and the oblivious stooges on cell phones drifting either toward you, or a guard rail, then you're the fuck out of Portland, and back to the boonies, but it isn't quite over yet.

You've got this fucking intersection.

Okay, gotta get out the John Madden pen again.....

Okay, red arrow there, see that fucking lane?
That's for trailer trucks to corner.
You shitty little sedans, that's not for you.
It's definitely not there for you to pass on the outside, you fucking little weasel-faced shit-burgers.

The blue arrow is where these little shits pass on the outside.

And people keep letting them in....

STOP LETTING THEM IN!!
DON"T YOU DO IT!!
DON'T YOU DO IT!!!
WHY ARE YOU LETTING THAT FUCKER IN!!!???
FUCKER, FUCKER, FUCKEEERRRR!!!!!

STOPPIT, STOPPIT, STOP, STOP, STOP, STOOOOPP!!!!!!

OOOOHHHHH!!!!!!!!

...ahem....

Green arrow is where the lanes start to pinch off into one lane.

This is WHY you shouldn't let the fuckers pass on the outside.

The purple arrow is where you should not let them in, and where they should be forced into crashing into the woods, and bursting into flames.

Huge towers of cleansing flame.

But no,...they keep...being let...IN!!!!

*Grinds teeth*...ohh....ohh...ohhh-ho-ho-hooooo.....

*Sigh*

It's a long fucking light too, so you get to be stuck there for 70 seconds pouring hate brainwaves at the fucker in the next lane, knowing what's going to happen.....

Anyway, once one makes it past that shit....


......things get fairly relaxing and pastoral again.

That's King's Farm.
Little farmer's market.
Got some funeral flowers for Gram last time I was there.
Good place for Halloween pumpkins and "cidah", too.

Eh, gimme a break, I couldn't get it all in one shot going by at 45 miles an hour.

Across the street is this church.

Something for my RD.net peeps to shake their fists at.
Heehee.
Couldn't read the sign.
Most times it's harmless, and insipid.
Once in a blue moon, it's a howler.

Well, I had my MP3 player blaring through the car stereo, and I had my chocolates awaiting my tummy, so, I didn't need the entertainment this time.

Oh yeah, right up ahead here is where I went off the road, and plunged into a snowbank.

Riiiight....

...here!!!

Pretty dramatic view through the windshield.
Just like the accidents you see in movies.
Pretty cool.

Oh yeah, here's what's left of Hanson's Market.

Kinda like King's.

Outta business now.

Shit, he had good stuff too.
I shoulda went there more.
Not that I woulda single-handedly saved it, but...y'know...just shoulda...

And yeah, here's this great field on the way home.
The camera doesn't do it justice at all.
The right weather, the right time of day, some nice thick mashed-potato clouds in the sky, it's fucking gorgeous to drive past.

Wide open space, no corners, no lights, and somehow over the years, people have managed to have every sort of accident along this road.

People are fucking dumb.
People are just fucking dumb.

Well...that's everything for today, thanks for taking this little ride with me.
;)

Aww, shit, I shoulda got one of the Smiling Church up at the corner!

A film crew some years ago took pictures, and made measurements, and made an exact replica for Stephen King's "The Storm Of The Century".

The movie sucked, I fucking hated it, but...that's still pretty cool, y'know?

Also, there's a memorial cross thingy for some guy who splatted himself on his motorcycle at that corner.
...man, that's some morbid medieval shit.

Memorializing the splat spot?

Eh, I'll get a picture of that next time.

So much I missed.

But, that's what other blog entries are for.
;)

7 comments:

Max said...

Technically, isn't the Borders in South Portland?

If you are a member of the big box book store, it can actually make prices between Borders and Amazon comparable when you throw in the oodles of fun coupons you get (which I for instance plan on using for BJ Penn's new closed guard book tomorrow it will actually be cheaper at Borders-I crunched the numbers, oh yes I did).

And that cute clerk, who is flirtying with both Goth and thirty, was very friendly to me in the bathroom....for twenty bucks. Yes. She. Was.

Diacanu said...

Yeah, South Portland, sure, I lump it all together in my mind.
Hence "the Portland area".

Cheaper at Borders?
I'm still not enticed.

Fellacious goth chicks?
A likely story.
Lol.

Max said...

Not terribly likely, but it amused the hell out of me to say.

Anonymous said...

Borders may go under also - saw them in a list of 10 businesses that could tank this year. I go there when they email a coupon for 30 or 40% off.

Zayre? Fucking Zayre? They clocked out around here seems like some 20 years ago.

Funny stuff - your road rage story. I'd hate to see your description of driving during rush hour on the Kennedy expressway in Chicago. They're doing 60mph 3ft away from the next driver. One reason I like living out in the boonies in Shitville.

Anonymous said...

Duh, forgot to sign the anonymous entry above as markg. Not that it's that important.

markg

Lanz said...

The one big advantage of Borders (or B&N, or any other brick-and-mortar bookstore) over Amazon is the simple pleasure of wandering the shelved, holding the books, flipping thru them, and like that. I buy a lot of shit from Amazon due to the convenience factor, but there's still nothing quite like passing a couple hours in a bookstore, whether big box or corner used books.

Diacanu said...

Yeah, I know, Borders isn't BAD, it's actually pretty cool.

Guess I'm still grumpy about the loss of Bookland.

I don't handle change well. :P

Well, between Borders being the only brick & mortar bookstore in town, and it maybe going under soon, I'd better hang out there more.

Blog Archive

Labels