Thursday, September 11, 2008

9/11

Guess I'd better acknowledge 9/11 day, eh?

Whelp, I can't to this day remember why, but I'd fallen asleep the night before with CNN on.

Must've been some Larry King guest I wanted to see, missed it, and was trying to catch the late night rerun, and conked out.
Only sequence of events that makes sense.

Anyway, I awoke to the shit going down.

The first tower, and the Pentagon had already been hit, and I immediately thought "Bin Laden".
I just knew.
Didn't entertain Saddam for a picosecond.

Cuz, I remember everyone being afraid he'd (Osama) pull something on the millennium new years.
And I seem to recall a plot being foiled at the Canadian border.
Some guys had a jar full of wood chips soaked in some red chemical that was supposed to be some bomb.
That kinda vanished from the limelight quick.

Anyway, knew it was Osama; then as I watched, the second tower got hit.

I was kinda disconnected from it at first, I had been numbed by Waco, and the Murrah Building, but, y'know as it went on, and the buildings came down, and they reran it 50,000 times over the next few days, it sunk in.

And then, it felt like the end of the fucking world.
I just totally imagined the U.S. going off half-cocked like the husband of a murdered wife, and doing something to piss off some country, that pissed off another country, and so on, until it pissed off Russia or China, and then the nukes would fucking fly, and I'd see 'em in the afternoon sky like the ending of Terminator 3.

I just felt it coming, in my whole being, and my nervous system started to implode.

I hid it well from others though. :P

But, I recovered, and now I fucking hate the media with a homicidal passion for cranking that level of fear up in everyone.

So, my year round 9/11 memorial is all the cable news channels deleted off my channel selections.
They're a fucking disgrace.
I dunno what you think of John Stewart, but that's one thing he's spot on about no matter what your political affiliation, and I love seeing him nail the bastards.

Someone fucking has to, no one else is. *shrug*

So, that's what I took away from it.

I didn't lose anyone in it, my deepest condolances to those who did.

Should I hate the terrorists more?
Well, I think I do.
But, the specific ones involved are all fucking dead.

And Saddam didn't do anything to me or mine, so him dancing at the end of a rope didn't add peace to my sleep.

I'd like Osama's head on a plate, but the Bushtards don't seem to give a shit about him.
But, that's a rant for another time.

So, that's my little 9/11 catharsis from 7 years out.

6 comments:

Lee said...

Guess I'd better acknowledge 9/11 day, eh?

Weird, but I was thinking about this yesterday, strange seeing it on US blogs now... that's time for you.

But, I recovered, and now I fucking hate the media with a homicidal passion for cranking that level of fear up in everyone.

You get my vote... I worked in the states for 3 months a while back - and on the news channels, across the bottom of the screen, was something like 'terror alert elevated'

For 3 months it never went down.... just got worse and worse according to the new - more ‘elevated' whatever that actually meant.

It was nothing but fear in the news – actually, it not even news... just fear

Lee

Mark_W said...

Guess I'd better acknowledge 9/11 day, eh?

Oddly enough (or perhaps not) I can remember exactly what I was doing on 9/11, 2001. I was playing volleyball in a UK tournament hundreds of miles from home and therefore spent the entire day in a sports hall, away from TV, radio, internet, phones, or, indeed, any form of outside communication.

The first I heard of it was in the afternoon break between matches, when someone who had received an (evidently garbled) message at lunchtime from somewhere announced, simply, that a plane had “landed on the Pentagon.” No-one, literally, believed him. It was only later that evening, watching the BBC news in the most silent bar I have ever been in, that what had happened started to become clear...

And Saddam didn't do anything to me or mine...

I completely see what you’re getting at. And, furthermore, as you rightly say, here isn’t the place to rehearse the arguments for or against the Bush administration’s foreign policy over the last 7 years. Although I would say that Bin Laden and his followers haven’t done anything (at least directly) against “me or mine” either, unless (as I’d really like to), we take “me or mine” to mean “humanity.”

Still, as someone admittedly thousands of miles away from America, I would, though, agree that the overwhelming feeling of solidarity and support for the US (I definitely felt it too, and, basically, still do) in the aftermath of those horrific, appalling, and murderous events, has (certainly in my own individual case) dissipated to some extent in the light of the way the current President has pursued matters.

I didn't lose anyone in it, my deepest condolences to those who did.

Absolutely. Whatever the atheist equivalent of “Amen” is, I’m thinking it now...

Mark_W

PS – Will link to here from my own blog to remind me to keep checking things out, as long as you don’t mind!

Diacanu said...

No prob, long as I can link to yours.

Reciprocal altruism and all that. ;)

Diacanu said...

Lee-

"It was nothing but fear in the news – actually, it not even news... just fear".

Agreed, that's all the news here seems to be anymore.
Depressing.

Diacanu said...

Mark_W-

"Although I would say that Bin Laden and his followers haven’t done anything (at least directly) against “me or mine” either, unless (as I’d really like to), we take “me or mine” to mean “humanity.”".

Yeah, I kinda meant it in a familial and nationalistic way to say, y'know, he was no threat to America.

Al-Queda actually killed people on American soil.

That the administration fuck-nuts first thoughts were "how do we use this to get Saddam?", chills my blood.
3,000 people vaporized, in an afternoon, and that's their priority.
*Head shake*

Mark_W said...

Diacanu,

No prob [...]Reciprocal altruism and all that. ;)

Absolutely, carry on!

(And I understand what you're saying about the differences between Iraq and Afghanistan - whatever the arguments for or against the intervention of the US (and its allies) in Iraq, I'd agree that they're not (or shouldn't be) the same ones as those relating to Afghanistan...

Mark_W

Blog Archive

Labels