Saturday, May 29, 2021

Post-corona shopping spree!!!


Well, it took me 9 days to post about it, but here we go....

So, this is all the shopping I didn't get to do since...fuck, after Christmas!
Christmas, birthday, and/or all my movie ticket money.

Here we go!

Castlevania season 1 (2017).
Castlevania season 2 (2018).
Castlevania season 3 (2020).


Happens before, during, and after Castlevania 3: Dracula's Curse.

Not a straight adaptation though, more of an altered timeline like the Hannibal series.

Excellent.
My new favorite anime.
Hands down.
Sorry, Tenchi.


Fear The Walking Dead Season 5 (2019).


















Jesus, 2019 feels like a decade ago now, doesn't it?
I re-watch the episodes, and they feel like both yesterday, and a lifetime ago,

Well...I'm not a regular collector of this show, and I don't plan to be, but I needed this particular season for....research purposes.
(Eyes dart mysteriously)


Star Trek: Lower Decks (2020)



Ahhhh... finally!


Star Trek: Short Treks (2017-2020)



















There!
Contains all of them but "Children Of Mars" but that's in the Picard set.
And with that, I've got everything nu-Trek that's physically available, and everything they've produced except Discovery Season 3, and that's coming this summer.


Batman: Hush (2019)



Man, speaking of 2019 feeling like a decade ago.
I could swear I saw this like, in 2010, or something.

I stand by the old review.
If you're a Catwoman fan, you will be happy.


Superman: Red Son (2020)




















About an alterni-verse Communist Superman.

Not as good as the graphic novel, but still pretty damned good.

Kinda tries to play that "Communism didn't work because human nature is flawed" tired ass argument.
Communism didn't work because it had to keep America's empire-thirsty hands off its throat.

The graphic novel doesn't try to both-sides it as much as the movie does.

I still recommend the movie though.


Doom Patrol Season 2 (2020)




















Still a masterpiece.
No sophomore slump here.

Rick & Morty can go blow goats, Doom Patrol is a WAY better wacky mad scientist and superhero story.

Brendon Fraser as Robotman is my favorite angsty reluctant superhero in any medium.


Cleanin' Up The Town: 
Remembering Ghostbusters (2019)



















Again, fiiiiinally!!

Was supposed to come on Christmas.
Dunno if Amazon ran out, it got lost in Trump's attack on the post-office, or a shopping cart button just didn't get pressed.
Whatever, I have it now.

Probably even longer than that.

Was originally supposed to be 4 hours about both original movies, they've since whittled part 1 down to 90 minutes, and are releasing part 2 as a sequel called "Too Hot To Handle".

Mmmm...pretty good, but I was expecting more.
You get Harold Ramis when he was still alive, and once you get past the script development and casting stage, it's really more about the special effects.

I'm assuming we get more Harold in "Too Hot Too Handle".
That can't get released soon enough.


Glass (2019)



Yet another case where 2019 feels like a decade ago!

Well, there, I finally got that one, and completed the Unbreakable, Split, Glass trilogy.

And...it's actually way better than I remembered!
Certainly better than New Mutants and Brightburn.

And it's a good thing James McAvoy got ripped for this, cuz he carries the damn movie on his back.


Mistakes Were Made
(But Not By Me)
(2019 edition)
 



















My friend, Alexandra, recommended this to me ages ago, and I listened to the audiobook, but now I finally have a paper copy.
A deep dive on the workings of cognitive dissonance, and other cognitive biases, and how they cause people to believe stupid shit, and double down on it literally to the fucking death.
It's the video game cheat manual for human beings.
It's the closest thing I have to a Bible.
The 2019 edition adds a whole thick chapter on Trump and MAGA-heads.
Truly a book for navigating our dumb awful age.


As You Wish:
Inconceivable Tales From The Making Of The Princess Bride
 (2014)



Wanted to get this since waaaaay back here.

7 years late, but I got it!


The True Believer: 
Thoughts on the Nature of Mass Movements 
(1951)




















I shrugged her off, cuz my head was up my ass.
With her passing, and stumbling on it again in our old PMs, I decided to get it.
I get the sense that if I'd have read it, I would've seen the rise and fall of "the atheist movement" coming.
She thought the whole thing was suss from the word "go".
From the fucking jump.
I didn't want to listen.
I mean, I made all my best friends from it, so I don't regret that, I just wish I didn't have to watch formerly smart people become MAGA nuts, and then later TERFs.

So, I've totally gotta read it now.


And, that's that.
There's a couple other things on order, but I'm not sure they're gonna come.
I highly doubt it, but we'll see.


No comments:

Blog Archive

Labels