Sunday, December 27, 2020

My Christmas Loot: Part 9, Looty faces the music!

Here we go...


Star Trek Discovery season 1-2 (2017-2019).
Star Trek Picard season 1 (2020).











Original reviews here, and here.

My Discovery reviews stand as-is.

Finally got to watch Picard as a whole binge.
Marvelous.
The haters can smooch my taint.

I mean, it's better than all the TNG movies put together (with the possible exception of First Contact), and it's better than large swaths of the filler episodes of TNG, and even some of the good to great ones, so what standard are snob-Trekkies holding this to?
Some fanfic in their heads.
And then you see the fanfic, and it sucks.
Screw 'em.

And "Nepenthe" is one of the greatest moments in Trek ever, ever, ever.
Up there with "Best Of Both Worlds" "The Inner Light" "Chain Of Command" "Time's Arrow" "First Contact" that's right, I put it in that pantheon.
Yeah, I'm saying it.
The gauntlet is thrown.


Dark Phoenix (2019)
New Mutants (2020)










Original Dark Phoenix review here.
New Mutants "what I might have thought" review here.

My Dark Phoenix review pretty much stands.
Except I'd bump it down to about tied with "Apocalypse".

Now for New Mutants.
From the link...

I probably would have dug it.

Ehhh...it was okay.

I very probably would have liked it as an X-Men movie better than "Dark Phoenix".

Nope!

I very very probably would have liked it as a spooky superhero movie better than "Brightburn".

Oh, definitely!
"Brightburn" is on Starz now, and I've seen it 4 times, and it doesn't hold up well to re-watches.
Doesn't make "New Mutants" good though.
It's trying so hard to be "Dream Warriors" but "Dream Warriors" is better.
It's a nice try though, and it's watchable.
There's long slow stretches though.
It plods in the middle.
Dunno when/if I'll watch it again.
I own it only for completism.
Ditto "Dark Phoenix" really.

Good chance I would have crushed on Maisie Williams, but not so that it was creepy.
Y'know in a cute way.
I'm good like that.

Well...we get multiple shower scenes, and a lesbian romance with Dani Moonstar, so...if you want to avoid being attracted to Maisie, this movie is not on your side.
She was 20 when they shot this.
You're not a pedo.
Relax.
*Head pat*

I likely would have bemoaned the death of sequel possibilities.

Nah, I'm good.

I absolutely would have expressed frustration with Marvel taking so fucking long to integrate the Mutant characters.

I do.
We've heard word on Fantastic Four for phase 5, but I'm thinking they're saving Mutants for phase 6.

50-50 on whether I'd have recommended a theater viewing, or waiting for rental.

Wait for it to pop up on cable.


Birds Of Prey: 
And The Fantabulous Emancipation Of One Harley Quinn.


Original review here.

Most of that review stands.

Except this time, I felt myself tuning out a little towards the end.
Maybe I was just tired, I dunno.

If for no other reason, I had to own it because of that.
Course, there's also DCEU completism.


Bill & Ted Face The Music (2020)













This came out during corona.
Or sane, whichever.

Anyway, loved it.
I delayed gratification by binge-ing the whole trilogy to refresh myself so I wouldn't miss any references to the first two.

Story wise, I'd put it about tied with "Bogus Journey" but you get a lot more bang-for-your-buck with 2020 special effects, so they were able to do crazier shit in this one.
George Carlin is memorialized in multiple ways throughout.
Everyone else still alive comes back.
If you liked the first two, you'll like this.

If you haven't collected any of these, there's a whole trilogy blu-ray out there, grab that.

Totally worth it.


"Cleanin' Up The Town" the Ghostbusters documentary is lost in Amazon limbo somewhere.
It's always something.


There, that was movies.
No books this year.
IDW is fucked up by corona, so no Ghostbusters comic stuff.
*Sad sigh*


Here's the candy haul.

-Box of Slim Jims
-Box of strawberry & grape Nerds
-Box of Skittles
-Box of Butterfinger Bites
-Box of Goobers
-Box of Mike & Ikes
-Box of Tot Tamales
-Bag of Swedish Fish Crush flavors
-Bag of Japanese apple pie flavored Kit-Kats
-Bag of plain Lindor truffles
-Bag of smaller bags of flavored trail mixes
-Mini bag of Doritos
-Mini bag of Cheetos

I'm trying to diet.
I'll eat one thing a day, one recommended serving size at a time.
I figure I'll be done by summer.

Also, I'm trying to get carbs out of at least my lunches.
Suppers will be a struggle.
Long story.

Plus there was a Mandalorian shirt, and an HDMI cable for the blu-ray player (cat broke the old one).

And...that's all that!
See you next time for my birthday!


5 comments:

Billdude said...

I watched fucking "Ishtar". ISSSHHHHHTAR!!!!!!! OHHHHHH!!!!!!

Dustin Hoffman telling Warren Beatty how to say "schmuck" and Beatty pronouncing it "smuck" is the only REMOTELY interesting moment in this film!!

Seriously, "Beverly Hills Ninja" isn't this worthless! The plot is like Spies Like Us written by a retarded 10 year old who has done nothing but watch sitcoms his entire life!!

There are actually people out there trying to rehabilitate this turd's reputation, can you believe that?!?!?

ISSSSSSHHHHHTAAAARRRR!!!!

Diacanu said...



LOL! Least you can claim you finally saw it.

I remember it being legendarily bad by the time it came to VHS.
There was like a "see the movie everyone's talking about!!" buzz around it.

Any other famous flops you haven't seen?
Showgirls? Battlefield Earth?
Cool World?



B. D. said...

I started watching Battlefield Earth but stopped after 20 minutes, I'll go back and do that one later..."Showgirls" I've seen a lot of but not the whole thing...it is reasonably popular now though. Cool World," I only remember some of the end with the blonde getting her comeuppance. I only know Coonskin as far as Bakshi stuff goes.

There is zero answer as to how Ishtar cost all that $$$$...it is NOT on screen.

"Heaven's Gate," that one is terrible but fascinating as a document of a director ego out of control.
"The Bonfire Of The Vanities" is a real zero, total betrayal of any purpose the book had at all.
Was considering "Hudson Hawk" but maybe later.
Bruce Willis sure was in loads of bombs back then. "Bonfire," "Billy Bathgate," "Hudson Hawk," all in a row. So was Hoffman and that was when he won his Oscar!

Flops now are uninteresting...$200 million comic book movies that nobody cares about a month later..."John Carter"? "Green Lantern"? "Land Of The Lost"? Who even cares to give this stuff a second chance...

Diacanu said...


There's always "Cats"!

B. D. said...

My mom was a big fan of the musical when I was a kid and even bought me the sheet music because she wanted me to learn to play "Memory" on the piano, and made me watch tapes of actual "Cats" shows. I'm sorry, but it's pretty disconcerting to me to know I was right about something even when I was a kid. I hated that damned thing then and I pretty much hate it now, a movie of it coming out in the year 2019 or whenever is hilarious. Shouldn't it have come out in like 1984?

Stupid glammy 80s costumes and I don't like the songs either. Nope, I'll never even try to see that movie.

Don't watch "The Last Movie," Dennis Hopper's 1971 followup to "Easy Rider." I got it for Christmas because it's really obscure and was expecting some sort of awesomely jaded treatise on the failure of the 60s but it's mostly just Hopper and hot girls hanging around in Peru doing nothing. "The Sun Also Rises" it ain't.

Blog Archive

Labels