Saturday, August 10, 2019

DC animation doesn't suck. (MM #120)


I watched the following movie just before "Mandy", and I was going to review it right after "Mandy", but...I really wanted to get that one about the catalog done.

I wish I had watched it after "Mandy", so it would be the antidote.
Anyway...


Batman: Hush (2019)


A mysterious new villain named Hush shows up, and knows that Bruce Wayne is Batman, and is out to destroy Bruce's life by hurting the ones he loves.
So, the race is on to find and unmask Hush, and put him away.

The whole rogue's gallery makes appearances, and Batman and Catwoman team up, and become a full-fledged romantic couple.

I loved it!
I make no bones about that I'm a Catwoman fanboy, so the development she gets as a character in this made me a happy camper.

Y'know how in "Batman Returns", Catwoman gives a speech at the end about how part of her wishes she could go live with Bruce in his castle, but then she doesn't?

We see what would have happened if she did!

Y'know how in Batman '66 the series, Catwoman said her and Batman should be a team, and Batman asks "what about Robin?", and she says "...let's kill him!".

We see what would happen if they were a team without Robin!
They don't kill Robin though.
He's aged out as Nightwing by now.

Slight spoiler, it still doesn't work out for them.
I mean, come on, if they got married, and had babies, and Bruce retired, the series is over.
Is it really a spoiler to know they broke up?

But, it's wonderful while it lasts.

Catwoman was my inspiration for Chokecherry, and Catwoman cracks all wise and snarky, and is very Chokecherry-y in this.
Again, happy camper over here.

Oh, and they fight Hush, and the writers changed his secret identity from the comics.
Yeah, yeah, whatever, it's the Catwoman stuff I cared bout.

So, because of the Catwoman character development and romance stuff, I put it up with the other classic animated Batman stories that also had good character stuff.

"Mask Of The Phantasm", "Return Of The Joker", "Under The Red Hood".
Yeah, up with that caliber.
For me.
YMMV.


And now, for a fluffier fun Batman adventure I also saw, but neglected to review here until now...


Batman vs.
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 
(2019)


I posted about this being announced here.

It's really good.
If you're a fan of both things, you will be happy.
They don't just meet each other, there's tons of shout-outs and Easter eggs for the history of both properties.
It's everything you'd want.
Now that this has opened the door, DC should do "Justice League vs Power Rangers", and Nickelodeon should do "TMNT vs Ghostbusters".
Those comics are just sitting there waiting to be adapted.
Grab 'em DC/Nick!!


Previously on straight-to-video-

Splitting out TV and home video. (MM #112)

Previously with MM-

No comments:

Blog Archive

Labels