Tuesday, April 13, 2021

Facebook foods, part 4 (Keto recipes)


And, here's those recipes I promised yesterday...


Chicken bacon ranch casserole (I do mine with spinach)

February 5, 2021


Holy fuckballs, was this good! 
Prep time for the chicken and bacon felt like Lord Of The Rings, but so fucking worth it! Yeah, I'm making that again.

Update..

March 11, 2021

I made that chicken, bacon, spinach, cheese, and ranch casserole for the third time. 
This time, I used turkey bacon. 
That solved the grease problem. 
Tasted just fine. 
It's just that turkey bacon doesn't crisp up as well as pork bacon, so instead of crumbling it, it needs to be chopped up. 
But it yields to the knife well, so it didn't take too much elbow grease.


Fajita casserole (substitute hamburg to make it taco casserole)

February 10, 2021


Yep, I'd make this again. Basically, it's burrito guts. 

And Frank's comment...

Crack slaw is a very simple dish to make that tastes pretty good. 
It is basically egg roll guts. 
There are a gazillion recipes out there. 
It is basically coleslaw and a protein like ground beef or chicken or whatever. 
Onion, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, and some vinegar are the basic additions to the meat and slaw. 
Put it all in a big pan and in a few minutes you have dinner.
You can add all sorts of things to spice it up depending on what you have and what you like.

Here is a random one that is sort of okay. 
It gives you the basics. 
I would do things a bit differently but whatever.
Side note: what is with the pre-packaged cole slaw? 
Why not just buy a cabbage? 
They are super cheap and it takes nothing to run it through a box grater over a big bowl.
I made some real cole slaw last week to go with some fish. 
Sam likes that. 
So I put in the mayo and mustard and vinegar all the other stuff for a dressed cole slaw. 
I had a bunch left over so I popped it in the fry pan with some ground beef. 
It was fine. 
I was worried about the mayo but what is that but eggs and oil? 
That is okay to cook and eat. 
And it was.



Sour cream beef cake.

March 4, 2021


This was pretty good. 
Didn't get the green onions I asked for though, so I put regular onions in the tomato sauce. Probably not the same thing, huh? 
Gotta take a second pass at this sometime. 
As good as it was, I consider it a rough draft.

I never got around to the green onions.
I don't miss them.
Fuck the green onions.


Harissa chicken

January 12, 2021


Frank, whelp, I made the Harissa chicken. 
I wouldn't do it with a whole chicken again. 
That's a pain in the ass. 
Next time, I'll just use breasts.

Frank's comment...

Once you cut off the breasts, rip up the other pieces with your hands.
Or do what this guy does.



No-carb eggplant parmesan

January 8, 2021

(No link, jury rigging out of the good parts of posts)

Drain the eggplant for 2 hours ahead of time. 
It doesn't need to be two hours exactly, especially if you salt it heavily and weight it down under a plate and some cans. 
Rinse it off afterwards (the rinse water won't be absorbed), pat dry, and you're good to go.

Since I couldn't use breading, just did cheese and sauce. 
This made it boring swill. 
IMHO.
Dad's was being obsessive about wanting extra hamburg in the sauce, so I did it to shut him up. 
Whatever, it's protein. 
But that added to it being trailer-trash swill.
Cooked it 30 minutes on 400.
I thought it was "meh". 
Mostly tasted like sauce to me.
No one puked or died. 
Whatever.

Past-me was being hard on himself.
It was all right, but the sauce maybe needed something to give it "oomph".
I dunno what.
Oregano, garlic, pepper flakes, something.


Celeriac Dauphinoise

January 20, 2021


Verdict on celeriac dauphinoise: fucking delicious!!! 
...not entirely sure it was worth the prep time... 
BUT! Glad I tried it, anyway!  
Had it with steak and string beans.

And the update...

January 21, 2021

Still catching leftover flavor hints of celeriac, garlic, and nutmeg. 
I certainly got my money's worth out of that meal.

Weird that this was the third thing I attempted after the stupid eggplant, and the fajita casserole, huh?


Philly Cheese Steak Casserole

April 1, 2021


This was pretty good. 
Basically, a beef version of the fajita casserole. 




1 comment:

Diacanu said...

Pizza casserole

I jury-rigged a hybrid between this...

https://kalynskitchen.com/low-carb-deconstructed-pizza-casserole/

...and this...

https://kalynskitchen.com/sausage-peppers-and-mushrooms-low-carb-cheesy-bake/

Pretty good, but sliced black olives would have put it over the top.


Blog Archive

Labels