Friday, March 22, 2024

Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire (2024)



Previously with this franchise-


The buildup to now-



Non-spoiler review-

Loved it.
Better than Afterlife? Hmmm...gotta say tied, but different.

McKenna Grace is awesome again.
The dynamic of the Spenglers is great again.

Even though this is numerically Ghostbusters 4, this is the Ghostbusters 3 the fans always wanted, and that Dan Aykroyd always wanted.
Frankly, this is the Ghostbusters 2 I always wanted, and felt let down when I walked out of GB2 in '89 cuz it wasn't this.
Well, I have this now, so it's all good.

It takes HEAVY influence from the "The Real Ghostbusters" cartoon.
Whereas, "Answer The Call" took direct Easter egg lifts from it, this is a brand new episode.

Matter of fact, that's one little nitpick with it, is that it goes on for quite a bit, and doesn't flow like a solid regular movie, but a marathon of RGB episodes.
I love to binge me some RGB, so it doesn't bother me at all, but it's making some critics fidgety.

The other nitpick, they cram in so many new characters we don't get quite enough time with everyone.
I'd say the Spenglers, Ray, and Kumail Ali Nanjiani's character get the most to do.
Everyone else has their little moment, but you want more.

Frankly, it made me crave Ghostbusters as a show so they could just keep going, and going, and going.
Movies are a cumbersome media to deliver story sometimes.

I mean, I'm sure we're all set up and ready to go for 5, 6, 7, etc, etc, and McKenna Grace will grow up on screen like the Harry Potter kids, but....a show would be better.
Just saying.

Can't wait to have this on disk, and see how it flows together with Afterlife.


Spoiler review-

-Plenty references to Ghostbusters 2, but also the cereal, the toys, the Ray Parker Junior music video, etc. So, our childhoods happened in this universe.

-Emily Alyn Lind's character was kept top secret because...she's a ghost!
I actually had this as a theory, but I had her becoming a ghost-Ghostbuster like Ray's girlfriend in the comics. Nope; no ghost-Ghostbuster. But her character is pivotal.

-No special pop songs. All score this time. Still riffing on the GB1 score.
The story had me sucked in, so I was good, but dammit, I miss the pop song albums.
I guess "Answer The Call" was the kiss of goodbye for that era.

-Kumail Ali Nanjiani's character is key to how they beat Garraka, and how he does it has some critics and fans murmuring, but it fits in with things they did in the cartoon.
You really have to put on your RGB beer goggles for this one.
If you think Ghostbusters has to follow rules as tight as Star Trek, you're gonna hurt yourself.

Spoilers end-



And...that's it, I guess!!

Go see it!!


No comments:

Blog Archive

Labels