Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Movies I was waiting for #4 (MM #124)


Yep, I'm bringing this series back for one last go-round.

To refresh reader's memories, this is where I look back at the franchises I was waiting for sequels to back in the 90's when the internet was new, and catching it up to where those franchises are now.
So, here we go...


Star Wars-




Solo came out, Mandalorian is on its way on Disney+, The Rise Of Skywalker is on its way, and is gonna close out the Skywalker Saga.

Oh, and The Phantom Menace turned 20.

So, no matter where Star Wars goes after TROS, my 90's self's SW dreams have already come true.
I can finally close this chapter for him.


Freddy/Jason-


Scream Queen is finally done!!!

But it's going to tour the festival circuits for goodness knows how long before a disk release.
But, it exists, so now we wait.

Nostalgia and commentary is all this franchise puts out anymore.
But I'll take it.

They're never gonna bring back Robert Englund, and further reboots will just keep missing the point.
Nightmare was a thing of the 80's.
In theory, they could period-piece it like "Stranger Things", but...New Line can't be trusted anymore.
Not without Bob Shaye.

And Jason?
Fuck Jason.


Superman 5-


As mentioned in previous entries, "Superman Returns", ended up being Superman 5.
But, then I continued it on with the DCEU.

Well, were getting a REAL Superman 6, because Brandon Routh is coming back as Superman for CW's "Crisis On Infinite Earths".
(See here, here, here, and here)

Kevin Smith (writer of "Superman Lives") got to direct an episode of Supergirl titled "Supergirl Lives", and there was a Thanagarian snare beast (giant spider) joke in there.
Yeah, that was quite awhile ago now, but it still needs mentioning.
Plus, Supergirl is part of "Crisis", so that all ties in.

John Schnepp (director of "The Death Of Superman Lives, What Happened?") died!! :-(

Nicolas Cage voiced Superman in "Teen Titans Go To The Movies".
And Spider-Man-Noir in "Into The Spider-Verse".

DC Animated remade "The Death Of Superman", again.
Followed by "Reign Of The Supermen".
Eh, they were all right.

Doomsday is on "Krypton".

There's no DCEU Superman sequel in sight though.
The DCEU Superman made a (headless) cameo in "Shazam", that's about it.

Current state of the DCEU-

-Aquaman made over 1 billion.
-There's Oscar talk for "Joker!".


Batman 5-



Batfleck's out, Bat-Inson is in.
And we're getting our first Batman standalone since "The Dark Knight Rises", in fucking 2012.


Evil Dead-



The show wrapped up after 3 seasons. 
Bruce Campbell retired from Ash.
Now talk of an Evil Dead 4 after all!

No matter what happens, the show was ED 4-12 for me.
I'm all set.


Ghostbusters-



GHOSTBUSTERS 3!!!!!!!!!!
2020!!!


Star Trek-


Discovery season 3 is on its way.
Star Trek: Picard is series 7.
Star Trek: Lower Decks is series 8.
Pine And Hemsworth bailed on JJ-Trek 4, and it fell apart as a result.
Possible Tarantino involvement with the fourth movie, whatever it incarnates as.

Fuck the movies, TV is where it's at for Trek.
"Unidiscovered Country", and "Generations", wrapped up TOS.
"Picard", will wrap up the TNG/DS9/Voy-verse.
"Discovery", is a fresh new chapter.
90's me is satisfied.


Godzilla/Rampage-


Seen Rampage. Meh.
It's cute, it represents the game well.
Not on my top 5 of the year or nothin' though.
"Godzilla: King Of The Monsters", came out.
It flopped!

The alternate ending of "Little Shop Of Horrors", is my Rampage movie.
I'm done with 'Zilla.


Troma-

Still no word on video release of "Nuke Em high 2".
They're gonna do "Shakespeare's shitstorm", a remake of "The Tempest", before finally doing Toxie 5. If they ever do Toxie 5.
Word on the Toxie 1 remake has stalled.
Legendary just bought the rights, haven't heard jack shit since.
Not holding my breath for Troma anymore.
As I said in a previous entry, I've got the classics on DVD.
I'm all set there.


Spider-Man-


I retro-added this via James Cameron's Spider-Man in the 90's.

Since then "Avengers: Endgame", and "Spider-Man: Far From Home", have come out.
And I collected the reviews of the whole Infinity Saga.
And I'm one Blu-Ray (Far From Home) shy of having the whole Infinity Saga.
And, it looks like the Sony/Marvel deal will probably get renewed.
Spidey is in good shape.


And finally, I waited for all the 90's versions of these sequels via "Ain't It Cool News", and Harry Knowles ended up on the pervert pile.
That's the end of that asshole
But, I've still got good old reliable Dark Horizons.
And Collider, and Comic Book Movie, and a jillion other better sites.


And, that's the end.
Any further updates will be individual Meedyah Morsels.


Previously with "movies I was waiting for"-

The evolution of franchises (MM #26)


Previously with MM-


6 comments:

B. D. said...

Does Robin Williams go on the pervert list? This stuff was a long time ago and Pam Dawber doesn't seem to care much but she did say it, and after he was dead.

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/mar/21/robin-williams-groped-flashed-me-on-set-mork-mindy-pam-dawber

B. D. said...

Also, yeuuuuuuuuck:

http://www.thewrap.com/st-elmos-fire-tv-series-nbc-in-the-works/

Diacanu said...


Re: Robin Williams. That's tricky. You need a victim, and Pam Dawber was all right with it, so....


Re: St. Elmo's Fire. Best part of that movie is the theme song.
And...it doesn't go with the movie.
It's too kick ass.
It's not a song for mopey college students, its a song for me sticking out my arms, and flying at jet speeds, and shooting rockets out of my armpits at non-descript bogies.

Am I saying they need to ditch the St. Elmo's fire TV show, and instead make a movie with me as airplane-man set to the St. Elmo's Fire song?
Yes.
Yes, I am.

"Man In Motion: The F-15 Man Story".

Diacanu said...


Fun fact- There's no "edit", function for comments, only delete.
Something broken? Start all over.

B. D. Lookit Me said...

I also love how the captchas still make me go through like six of them, even though I clearly AM hitting all the squares that have "vehicles" in them.

While reading reviews of the original "King Kong" I stumbled upon this. I'd really like to see it. I think we'd ALL like to see it. Isn't it great that this exists?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ingagi

Also, skip the stupid 1980 grossout nostalgic sex comedy "The Hollywood Knights" starring Robert Wuhl as the oldest high schooler who ever lived. It sucks, not a single laugh in it and it's completely and utterly ripped off from "American Graffiti." SUCK!!!!

Diacanu said...


Re: King Kong/Inagi-

Something in America tainted by something racist and gross?
Say it ain't so!
That's not the country I grew up in!
[/irony]


Re: The Hollywood Knights.
Consider it skipped!



Blog Archive

Labels