Friday, January 24, 2014

Flicks I've watched (Part 27)


Or, a retroactive addendum to the big summer movie reviews.


Elysium (2013)


So, like I said here, I wished I had seen this instead of "Pacific Rim".

Well, seen it now, and.....it's got a better story than "Pacific Rim", but....it's totally a rental.
Corny and formulaic as "Pacific Rim", was, it had to be seen in the theater.

Sooo....guess if I had that time machine, I should have seen "Kick-Ass 2", or "The World's End", again.

I mean, "Elysium", is okay, but, ehh, nothing spectacular.


World War Z (2013)


Well, as I more or less said here, I had no enthusiasm to see this, but, friends said it was actually pretty good, so I caved in and saw it yesterday.

It's a good zombie movie, but ignore the title.
It and the book have nothing whatsoever in common.

It gets points for showing the massive scale of a full-on zombie plague.
Zombie flicks have never had the money thrown at them to show that, so that was cool.

It was kind of silly how Brad Pitt was everywhere, always survived, always took charge, and always knew what to do.
He Forrrest Gumped his way through this universe.

But, fuck it, it's a world with animated dead people, it needs some leeway.
Yeah, I enjoyed it.
Don't think I'd buy it though.


Despicable Me 2 (2013)


I not-reviewed part 1 here.
Finally saw it a year or so ago, dug it.

So, since I saw 1, and this one slaughtered the box-office, moreso than all of the superhero flicks, figured I'd check it out.

It's cute.
As good if not better than the first one.

Kristen Wiig is a delight.
As she was in "Paul".

How did I not know about her until now?
Oh, right, I gave up on SNL a decade ago.


And, together with "This Is The End", that takes care of all the big summer movies.
That were worth a shit.


Now, one more that I had put off seeing long enough....

No Country For Old Men (2007)


Anton Chigurh is a great character, but the movie...ehh....

You won't like the ending.
Even as an artistic statement, it could have been better.

Fanfic your own ending, because it blows.

And...that's those.

"Thor: The Dark World", left to see.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Labels