Sunday, April 17, 2011

I'm Okay With The 10's So Far...

How would we say these?
The Teens?
I'm going with Teens...

Y'know, can't remember the media making too much hoo-hah when we went over to 2010.

Felt like just another day to me.
Hmnh.

So, this decade will take me up to 44 when it's all done.
Wow...



2010

Iron Man 2

Another solid Marvel flick.
Pretty solid sequel.
Everything we liked about the first one, plus some new goodies.
New tech, new villains, new good guys, and new "Avengers", easter eggs.
And, if you watch it back to back with the first one, it bleeds together nicely as one big movie.
Sadly, Jon Favreau won't be back for part 3.


Shutter Island

Pretty decent.
Dug that it used this little ditty as the main theme of the film.


Shrek Forever After

Dug it.
Better than 3, brought it full circle to the first one, wrapped it up nicely.
Be interesting to view the quadrilogy all in one go as one huge film.


Toy Story 3

Oh, that's right, Michael Keaton was "Ken", in this one! That's where he went! (See "Mr Mom", here).

Barbie's line "Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from threat of force!", was great.
Obvious antitidote to the whole "teen talk Barbie", deal.


BP oil spill

Stupid muthafuckas.


The Comedy Central Roast Of David Hasselhoff

Greg Giraldo's last. :(


Halo Legends

The third anthology in the vein of "The Animatrix", and "Batman: Gotham Knight".

Now, I couldn't give two shits about the Halo games, I'll never play 'em, but, I flat out hate "The Matrix", and "Animatrix", payed off, so I took a gamble.
And, damned if this ain't a nifty little anime.
I hope they keep churning these babies out, I don't care what universe they're for.


Planet Hulk

Hulk meets Heavy Metal.
Not for kids.
Lotta friggin death.
Good flick.


Tron Legacy

Still ain't seen it.
Gotta do that.


Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy

(James Lipton voice)
An utter delight!

Ranted about this here.


A Nightmare On Elm Street (remake)

Sucked!! And Wes Craven, and Rachel Talalay in NSE totally called it.


The Human Centipede

Loved it!

Okay, touched on it way back here.

Almost got scared away from it by Ebert's review here.

Posted the Tosh spoiler review here.

Finally worked up the nerve, saw it, was both spooked, and amused, and that, is good horror.
I own it now.

Dieter Laser is just excellent in this.
My favorite mad scientist on film thus far.
I hope he gets a lot more horror work.

The mad scientist is my favorite movie villain archetype, and there aren't enough of them period, but of those few, there aren't many good ones.

You gotta go back to Jeffrey Combs as Herbert West in the 80's, and even further back to Peter Cushing's Victor Frankenstein after that.
It's a pretty thin hall of fame...

Anyway, Tom Six has made me an instant fan of his work, and I anxiously await the Centipede sequel.


Mel Gibson goes batshit.

*Points*
Ha haaaaa!!!


Batman: City Of Scars

Sequel to "Patient J", same Batman, same Joker, better production values, very, very good.
A stunning twist for the ending.
A must see for even casual Batman fans.


Archer

See my rant on John Benjamin ("Home Movies", here).


Louie

Louis C.K. is quickly becoming one of my favorite comedians.

Man, he's in his 40's and divorced, and somehow, I can already relate to his jaded sentiments to life and living.

Especially the bleak hopelessness of finding love in this sick society.


Ugly Americans

Meh.
Just this side of watchable.
Another one for the cartoon graveyward I think.


Shit My Dad Says

Well, that happened quick.
The first show based on a Twitter feed.
Maybe the dinosaurs ARE taking notice.

First show with an expletive in the title too...even if "bleeped".

We're getting there...we're getting there...

Oh, and also, fuck the PTC!


Conan

Said most of it in the Conan rant in 90's 3...

Welcome back, Coco.


OnLive

Commented on this before here.

Y'know, when you really think about it, it's not so new, it comes full-circle back to the days when the inventors of the first games, and the founders of the industry played on networked mainframes in college, so, looking back in hindsight, cartridge/disk media was just a damned sales model.
A marketing gimmick.
To make you buy...stuff, until the infrastructure was up and running for selling content.
All it was.
Although, this was kind of trial ran before in the 90's with "the Sega channel".
Nothing is new.

But anyway, this should be the death of the traditional console, and hopefully, the high-end gaming PC.

Can't see dedicated game stores lasting much longer after the full transition.

So, all those Game-Stop douchebags you hate?
Homeless.
Yeah, close your eyes, and let that warm you like a hug.
Go, future, go!


Shmegalamonga turns 2!


Pretty much said all the highlights here...

2nd anniversary post.

But also, for year 2, finished off Harry Hembock: Dark Designs...

...did an honest recap of the whole blog...

...Even the crumple-shit...

..aaand a buncha other stuff.

Yeah, unlike year 1, I think it's coming into focus.
It's solidifying into what I envisioned.
Me happy.


2011

Bob's Burgers

See my ramble on John Benjamin again.


Harry Hembock turns 22!!

See here.


I do these 70's, 80's, 90's, 00's, 10's lists.


I love the 70's.

Didn't think to give these my own specialty titles yet...probably would've gone with "I have fuzzy swiss-cheese memories of the 70's".

Anyway, this, and the sequel made me appreciate how cool the good parts of the 70's were.


I love the 70's (part 2)

Ditto the above.


I really friggin' love the 80's.

Great walk down my favorite decade.
No complaints.
Even the crappy stuff has a glow to it.
Just perfect.
Flew through these topics.
A joy.


I really friggin' love the 80's (part 2)

Ditto.


I really friggin love the 80's (part 3)

Ditto.


I h8 the 90's.

Shitty list overall, brought back really bad memories.


I h8 the 90's (part 2)

Ditto.


I h8 the 90's (part 3)

Really, really, REALLY glad I did this one.
The 90's making me feel that lousy just didn't sit right.
Glad I wasn't lazy, just plowing through the pre-made lists.
This took some hard work, but it was worth it to redeem that decade for myself.
Very therapeutic.
And, a good job, if I do say so myself.


I "meh", the 00's.

Nother crappy list.

I really wanted to race to the end, but I couldn't leave this alone either.
Had to do another homemade one of the shit I loved, because it was really a transformative decade for me in a good way.
It had its rough patches, as they all do, but, yeah, good times.


I "meh", the 00's (part 2)

The last one.
Felt like it went a little smoother than 90's 3, but..I know it had to be as hard to do mentally/physically.
Well, I had the groundwork of the other lists to lean on, I think.
It just felt easier because of that.
Still had to write about as much.

Yeah, these were gonna be a quickie thing, but they ended up being a long chunk of work...and the homemade ones ended up being even funner.
In the case of 90's 3, it was a healing experience.
A genuine epiphany.

Y'know, I like this format, I gotta find more things to do with it.


Infestation

Zombies vs. Transformers, Star Trek, GI Joe, & Ghostbusters.

Ehhh, pretty good.
And can be shoehorned into continuity with "Marvel Zombies", if you like.

Can't say much more without spoiling stuff.
Read it for the individual fights though, the ending of the bookend story is an anti-climax.


Watson on Jeopardy.

Asimo has the body, Watson has the brain.
Soon...soon...


The Oscars suck.

Ha haaaa!
I didn't even watch 'em.
I haven't even seen any of the nominated movies.
I don't even wanna.


Evil Dead 2 turns 24!

Linky.

Eh, pretty much told my history with this trilogy in the "Army Of Darkness", rant in 90's 3.


Revolutions in the middle east.

Catch the wave!


Charlie Sheen goes batshit.

Charlie Sheen finally got funny.
Took him long enough.


The Comedy Central Roast Of Donald Trump

No more Greg Giraldo.
Dead y'know. :(

Well, this one will go down for "The Situation", laying a big stink bomb on the stage.

Dunno if that's gonna have the pop culture half-life of coked-up-Courtney...probably not...


Geminoid DK

Creepily real android face.

Linky.

Closer still....soon...soon...


Earthquakes/tsunami/mudslides/snow/nuke-meltdowns in Japan.

Jeez, these poor bastids can't catch a break with this whole mess...


Gilbert Gottfried fired as the Afflack duck for insensitive tweets about Japan.

Really? We gotta take it out on Gilbert?
Booo, society.
Boooo.


Lobbing bombs at Wacky Kadaffy.

Operation Odyssy Dawn? Sounds like a Cabbage Patch Kid.
And you know by now how I feel about those...

Well, he still ain't dead as of this typing.
Looks like he's probably gonna crush the rebellion.
The world is crap.


William Shatner turns 80.

(Freddy voice)
He just keeps...on...tickin!!!


Liz Taylor dies.

..so, that's the last of the old-timey movie stars, innit?
No?
Couple more?
Okay....


Dr. Drew

Yep, I called it, so much better than Doctor Phil, it ain't funny.


Sports Show With Norm MacDonald

Well, I'll be damned, he's back!
Cute show, showcases the style he used on SNL Weekend Update, and..it'll probably last just six episodes.


Nintendo 3DS

Amazing, but you feel weird looking at stuff afterward for about a minute.


The stupid fuggin' Royal Wedding.

Don't care...BUT Kathy Griffin is gonna make fun of it as it happens, so...dammit, I gotta see that...


Thor

Hurry uuup!!!!


Green Lantern

Ditto.


Captain America: The First Avenger

Ditto.


So, that's this year...coming up next year....


2012

Star Trek 2

Ditto the last batch of dittos.


Ghostbusters 3

Ditto.


The Avengers

Ditto.


Iron Man 3

Ditto.


Plan 9 remake (With AVGN, Chad Vader, etc)

Ditto.


Elections, immediate end of the world.

Ditto.


Well there, all caught up to the relative present.

I'm going to do individual year in review updates to this series.
Preferably forever, but we'll see how it goes...



1 comment:

severalspeciesof said...

Wow, I'm really out of the societal loop regarding the entertainment business...

But please take this note:

Regarding Tron Legacy... It could have been SOOOOOO much better, yet I still enjoyed it. Will be buying the DVD soon...

Blog Archive

Labels