Saturday, October 24, 2009

My wonderful gadgets 2.


(Click to enlarge)
Ahh, look at 'em now.
Now that's a utility belt. :D


Well, the remote took the longest, having just finally received it today, so I'm all gadgeted up now.

For now.

So, let's look at the new additions.

Whelp, let's work backwards from newest to oldest.

The remote.

Well, I ordered the white one, which is the one I showed in the last one, and I ordered it, because the site said if they ran out of black, they'd give you the white anyway, and other visual clues gave me the hint they had an over-abundance of white, cuz everyone wanted black, so I said "meh, fuck it", and ordered white.

But, I got black, so YAY!!
Goes with my other gizmos better, and just plain looks smooth.

Whelp, it works, but only on one TV in the house, and one I never watch, so that's a pissah...

..but, I got it for controlling TVs out there in the world, so I'll have to do a location blog of when I do a proper field test.

At least the one TV that it worked on showed me it was even doing something, and wasn't a dead piece of plastic I wasted a couple bucks on.

So, I'm excited. :)

The microscope.
I ordered this just last week, and STILL it beat the remote to the mailbox.

Now, I used to love playing with magnifying glasses as a kid, and at about oh...12, 13, 14 round there, can't remember exactly, I got a full blown microscope for christmas.

Buuut, alkaline batteries were total shit back then, and they leaked, and ruined the electronics, for the light, so..PPPT!!

So, it's collected dust in a box somewhere.

Now, later on, in the 90's, I saw that episode of Aeon Flux where she pops this mini microscope out of a belt pouch, and uses a micro robot inside the scope to torment this little alien fetus.

I immediately said to myself "ooo, I want one!!", and mentally filed it away.

Well, looking for gizmos to complement my first 4, Aeon's microscope popped into my head, and except for the little robot inside, it seemed to me such a gizmo should not only be feasible, but out there on the market somewhere.

So, I scoured Amazon, and they didn't have anything under 100 bucks for one, and all their mini ones plugged into the computer, which means at the least, I had to lug my laptop around, and that didn't make for decent portability, I wanted something you whip right out of your pocket, and get down to business with like my other gizmos.

Didn't seem too unreasable.

But, DealExtreme, and Amazon didn't have 'em, so it seemed I was sunk.

Anyway, I had noticed in browsing DealExtreme, a couple items overlapped with ThinkGeek, so to price compare, I went there, and then got looking at other things, and bam, the microscope jumped out and bit me in the "users who bought this also bought....".

There it was, black, little, cylindrical, no tray, no slides, no pieces to lose, no plugs, and palm sized, roughly as big as my lighter.

What I'd been looking for in my subconscious mind since 1993.
Fuck.
Had to have it.

It's sweet.
60-100 magnification.

Makes my skin look like an exotic plastic, and the fibers of my bedsheet look like shiny nylon ropes.
Pretty decent.
Lotta fun things to do with that.

The lighter.

Ahh, it's beautiful.
Haven't burnt anything yet to inaugurate it though.
Melting a hole in a soda can would do.
But it's been raining outside, so....

But, it lights up slick as shit.

Came with only a couple drops of fuel in it, just enough that there was a little "fssss...(dead)", when I flicked it, not even a full flame.

Soo, I had to make a hardware store run for butane, but now all is well.

Fire's always a good tool to have.
Especially in a Maine winter.
I feel secure having that on me now.

Be nice if it came in black, but that's a minor quibble.
They have a black one, actually, but they just came out with it, and it only has one burner, and half the heat.

Screw it, aluminum/chrome is cool too, black isn't required, it's just been a happy accident so far.

Hmm, gonna need something to carry all this junk in now.
Fall's here, with winter creeping up, so I can pack it all in my denim jacket, but for summer...maybe a fanny/belt pack.

Then it really would be a utility belt..hmm...

Anyhoo, got my eye on the next precious.
The king gadget.

The Dingoo!!


Auuuhaaauuhh!!

Someday...someday...

No comments:

Blog Archive

Labels