Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Spiritual values.

I asked this question of someone, and the person blatantly and rudely blew me off for an answer.
See if you think it was unreasonable...


What exactly constitutes a spiritual value anyway?

Is it love of ghosts/fairies?

Or is it religion's usual co-opting of inborn human altruism/affections/solidarity/kindness as not only coming from ghosts/fairies, but corporate trademarked and distributed (in miserly spoonfuls) by the power structure of a particular church?

Because the former is meaningless piffle, and the other is not only wrong, but wicked.

I of course await the magical third alternative.

Yeah...maybe I was a bit on the rough side, but he was using "spiritual values", in the context of knocking a whole continent (Europe), so, I felt it was the right tone for popping his bubble of pretense.

I'm going to go right ahead, and assume I got no answer, because there is no answer.

I mean, let's dissect this dopey phrase.

"Spiritual".

Meaningless.

"Values".

Meaningless without a list of some kind.

And the values twits are notorious for not giving you one.

And on the odd chance they actually do, it's fucking horrible.

No wonder the more sensible yahoos stay tight lipped, they know their "values", are repulsive to sane people.

When you ask someone about "values", when they're the one who brought the fucking topic up, and they snottily button their lip, just assume they're a Nazi.
Go right ahead.
Saves time.

I mean, really, why would a simple thing like that be like pulling teeth, unless your values system was creepy?

Here's my values; don't kill, rape, or steal from anyone.
See, how hard was that?
I rattled it off in under 3 seconds, and there wasn't a flicker of shame involved.
No hemming, no hawing, no "it's complicated", no "you wouldn't understand", nothing.

And you don't have to believe in magic and/or spooks to follow a code that simple.

So where exactly, and why exactly, does the fucking "spiritual", come in?

And why and how exactly are you a bad person, or nation, for lacking in these values?

How can you NOT lack in them if you can't even fucking verbally convey them?

Doesn't make any damned sense.
It's not supposed to.
Meaningless slogans aren't for making sense, they're for stroking egos.

Anyhoo, moral of this story is this...
Be wary of people who can't give a simple answer to a simple question.
My experience is, they're usually completely full of shit.

Shit like "spiritual values".

1 comment:

Sharon said...

Nice one. I completely agree. :)

Sharon

Blog Archive

Labels