Sunday, April 5, 2020

Isolation marathon (Part 2).

Meedyah Morsels #233.
-and-
Post 23 away from 3000 posts!

Back into the stockpile!


Star Trek: The Animated Series (1973-1974)


Old review here.

These are fuckin' sweet.
Love 'em.
Animated, they could do weirder aliens and planets, and bigger action in crazier environments than they could pull off on the live-action budget of the old show.
With that factor, these actually blend over into the movies quite well.
They're an excellent gap filler.
You get the old show style interacting with weirder aliens, then you get the movie style interacting with weirder aliens because of the bigger budgets.
Smooth transition.


Star Trek: The Movie Series-
Star Trek: The Motion Picture. (1979)
Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan. (1982)
Star Trek III: The Search For Spock. (1984)
Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home. (1986)
Star Trek V: The Final Frontier. (1989)
Star Trek IV: The Undiscovered Country. (1991)
Star Trek: Generations. (1994)
Star Trek: First Contact. (1996)





Old reviews here and here.

Speaking of transitions, watched back-to-back-to-back, these flow together seamlessly as if they were a season of show.

I've always maintained, Classic Trek did get its 5 seasons.
The 3 original, then animated, then movies.
Then Generations bleeds it right over into TNG.

My binge cuts it off at First Contact, cuz I never bothered to buy Insurrection and Nemesis.

BUT, with "Star Trek: Picard", out there in the world, I kinda want to get them now for the continuity if nothing else.

And then, of course, they time-loop back to the JJ movies, then the JJ movies prequel reference "Wrath Of Khan", in each one.

Oh! And I notice different things each time I watch these, even decades later!

Like, I can't believe I never noticed in TUC Valeris's mis-matched uniform.

All the post-TWOK movie uniforms have that the shoulder stripe, cufflink stripe, cuffs, and collars match, and show the department/rank.

Valeris's shoulder stripe and cufflink stripes are grey, but her collar and cuffs are red.

First, I thought it was a sloppy lazy mistake by the costume department, but she's the only one that mis-matches, and it's a symmetrical mis-match, she doesn't randomly swap to green or something.

So, I'm thinking it's a deliberate subliminal clue that she's the traitor.

Also, I noticed Ensign/Lieutenant Jae in Generations, and stumbled onto that she's the "Where's Waldo?", of all of TNG.
Jae at Memory Alpha.

So, yeah, Valeris and Jae, now that I've noticed them, I can't not see them.

And now I've got a Jae spotting game to play with the H&I/BBC reruns.

Oh! Also!
I noticed when I did the JJ trilogy, "Into Darkness", had a sick burn on Shatner!
Kirk and McCoy are celebrating Kirk's "older than my dad got to be", birthday as a parallel to Shatner-Kirk's 50th in TWOK, and McCoy says something like "at least you've still got your eyesight and your hair".
The TWOK scene had McCoy giving Kirk his antique glasses, and Shat had his hairpiece by then.
Daaamn, JJ!

That's why Trek is so fuckin' cool.
You can find new golden Easter eggs in these movies and shows for literally your whole entire life.
Re-watch value is limitless.

Up next?
I dunno.
I'm Star Trekked out.
I'm craving horror.
But nothing to fucking do with zombies and/or virii.

Maybe Hannibal the series?
I dunno...we'll see...
I've got to catch up on podcasts again first.

See you next time.


Previously with isolation marathon-

Isolation marathon (Part 1).


Previously with MM-

...but the plague had other plans, Part 8. (MM #232)


2 comments:

B. D. said...

Arrested Development!!!!

Diacanu said...


D'oh! It's all behind paywalls.

My source for streaming shows has dried up for the forseeable future.
Moreso during this plague.

Spectrum is giving us all free Epix, Showtime, and Starz, so that's something.

Blog Archive

Labels