Sunday, February 24, 2019

Franchises I didn't see coming.


A companion to "movies I was waiting for", so here's those.


So, while I was waiting in the 90's/00's/10's for new stuff from all those evergreen franchises from the 70's/80's/90's, brand spanking new stuff cropped up.
Time I collected those.


Harry Potter
(2001-2011)


Covered the movies here.
Covered the books here.

This, like a lot them, I had to be dragged to in a "oh, all right, show me then *arms crossed*", kind of mood.
I gotta stop doing that.


Lord Of The Rings
(2001-2003)


Covered the movies here.

Okay, the books were written in the 50's, and there were previous attempts, but this is the one that finally took.
And, I grew up on the animated Hobbit movie, so I didn't need to be sold on these at all.

Netflix is making a series out of this universe to compete with Thrones.


Game Of Thrones
(2011-2019)


Covered the show here.
Covered the books here.

It took the whole planet being crack-addicted for me to finally go "all all RIGHT!! FINE!!".
It had me by season 1.
Boom.
As said with Harry Potter, I gotta stop being like that.


Breaking Bad
(2008-2013)


Covered the show here.

I didn't need to be sold on this, I already loved Bryan Cranston from "Malcolm In The Middle", so I jumped right in.

This franchise is still rolling along through "Better Call Saul", and there's going to be a sequel movie about Jesse sometime this year.


The Walking Dead
(2010-present)


Covered it here.

In its 9th season, Fear is coming up on its 5th season, and there's going to be an explosion of movies and spinoffs in the coming years.
Zombies aren't going anywhere.

I was a bit skeptical, but basic cable is right there in your bedroom, so I was like "what the Hell, why not?". There have been weak seasons, but I've stuck with it, because when it's good, it's really fucking good.


Stranger Things
(2016-present)


Covered it here.

Mag-nificent.

I didn't need to be dragged to this at all, John Schnepp and Peri Nemiroff raved about it, and they pitched it as "Goonies meet IT",  so I was like "fuck it, I'm in".


Those are the biggies and middle-ies.
All I can think of for now.


Next, future franchises.


No comments:

Blog Archive

Labels