Sunday, July 15, 2018

Happy 2nd anniversary, Ghostbusters: Answer The Call!




Previously-

Year 1.

What's happened since last year...

Buildup to today-

So, where are we this year?

Its pretty much done its run on Starz.
You can still call it up on on-demand, but I never see it in regular broadcast rotation.
But it's a shitty non-HD copy now for some reason.
May as well watch the blu-ray.

As mentioned above, its coming to FX.

A lot of people who were scared off by the hater-train during the theatrical run are catching it on Netflix, and saying they were pleasantly surprised.

The haters have moved on to "Star Wars: The Last Jedi", and now that Star Wars fans are getting a taste of toxic fandom, NOW they care.
They didn't care when it was GB:ATC.
I was warning everybody that this was a canary in the mine.
Well...I warned people about Trump too, but those third party and non-voters were heroin-high on self-righteousness, so...*shrug*

The cast of "Oceans 8", were on Today Show, and they brought up not just the hate for GB:ATC, but the harassment of the cast online, and how the media practically took the side of the toxic fans, trying to examine how it effected the poor little men.
Then they mentioned how this was pre-#metoo, and they wouldn't cover it that way now.
So, they got a little zing in on the media too.
Sweet, I loved it.
Kinda wished I saw Ocean's 8...but I haven't seen the others.

I almost ranted more on toxic fandom, but I think I said it all in the GB2/ATC essay.

Fuck 'em, let Star Wars fans deal with 'em now.
I finally get to enjoy Ghostbusters in peace.

Anyhoo...
I did the big all three movies marathon for the Ghostbusters anniversary.
Then the cut-scene movie for the '09 video game.
Then I spun RGB again over the next week.
Ahh, happy.

I worried last year if my love of ATC would wane.
Yes and no.
The stuff that isn't great makes me wince more, the parts I love I love more.
So, it's leveled off to tied with GB2.
I definitely love it more now that I found all those RGB parallels.
Also, GB:ATC:WDMC comics antidoted one of the jokes that used to make me cringe.
The only other cringe joke left is antidoted by the alternate takes in the bonuses.
So, I'm good.
Still dig the flick.
My fandom is locked in.

We're 4 issues away from the conclusion of "Crossing Over".
That's gonna be split into 2 graphic novels like "Mass Hysteria", was.

Still no goddamned word on the animated 4th movie.
Hoping for something at San Diego Comic-Con, but I don't find it listed.
Either as outright Ghostbusters, or as a Sony Animation presentation.

We've got to see something soon.
If it's supposed to come out in 2019, we need to see something now.
A title reveal, some stills, a teaser trailer, something.
And if it's coming out later than 2019, or not at all, we need to hear THAT!
Give us something, Sony!!

Well, we heard nothing about the animated Spider-Man movie for years, then we heard casting, then nothing again for another year, then BOOM, the title and trailer dropped out of nowhere.
So, Sony's sneaky with their animated stuff.

No word yet on what comics are coming after "Crossing Over", or if GB:ATC:WDMC gets a sequel.
The writer of "Crossing Over", said they were going to save it for the big 35th anniversary, but his partner said "no, fucking do it now", so I have no idea WTF they can do as a topper for next year.

I guess that's it for now.


How long will I do anniversary updates of ATC?
Until the new material for it stops, which doesn't seem like anytime soon.
It's a franchise within a franchise now.

If it were really the "worst movie in the universe", this sequel comic stuff wouldn't have an audience, and wouldn't exist.
Sony just did crappy marketing, and let trolls control the narrative.

Also, they spent too much.
ATC had to make fucking Ant-Man money to break even.
That's ridiculous.

We'll see if they learn their lesson next time around.


No comments:

Blog Archive

Labels