Tuesday, October 24, 2017

I don't h8 the 90's anymore (Part 3.5).


Aaand, here's the rest of the damned movies I was too lazy to do the first time around.
"Honorable mentions", my ass...


1995
(Year of the Nova Scotia trip!!)

Jumanji


Yet again, alas, Robin Williams.
This is just gonna keep happening, he left quite a bleeding hole in our culture when he passed.

Kirsten Dunst's second (I think) flick after "Interview With The Vampire".
She's 35 now, can you believe it?
The Rock Is doing a sorta-remake/sorta-sequel where it's a video game instead of a board game.
We'll see if it's any good.
I'm more looking forward to "Rampage", because I love that old game, and I want a video game movie to finally be good. I think a comedy would be easier to pull off than these ones where they take themselves too seriously.

Nixon


Yet another one I watched a million times on Showtime.
All right, yeah, I peed on Oliver Stone over "Natural Born Killers", but I liked this one.
Anthony Hopkins can fix just about anything.

Then Stone made "W", with all this usual pretentious excesses, and I hated him again.

Jefferson In Paris


Yet another one I watched tons of times on Showtime.
Nick Nolte is great in this.
And Gwyneth Paltrow is decent as Jefferson's daughter.
She doesn't have a lot to work with, but her few scenes are good.
She hadn't yet gone bugfuck nuts, and started selling pussy stones, and magic ointments made of ground chimpanzee dicks, or whatever the fuck she shills.

Greta Scacchi however, steals the whole damned movie as Maria Cosway.

It'll make you want to go back in time, and tell Jefferson "quit politics, stop fucking Sally Hemmings, marry Maria Cosway, free your slaves, and stop being an asshole!! Asshole!!".

Instead, history was a drag, and a bummer, like it usually is, and we mindlessly trudged toward the nation of hypocrisy we have today.
Murca!!

Jerky Boys: The Movie


Turns out, they hated each other's guts while they made this.
But y'know, a lot of the great old comedy teams hated each other.
Abbott & Costello, some of the Marx Brothers, Lucy & Desi, Sonny & Cher, all of the first SNL cast vs Chevy Chase, all of the Monty Pythons vs Eric Idle. Etc, etc, etc.

Anyway, I talked about this before here with my looking back at their final 2 albums.

As for the film itself?
Ehhh...it's no "Private Parts".
It's barely a "Dirty Work".
It won't ruin your day, but you won't be glad you watched it either.
It's more interesting to scientifically dissect as a weird piece of pop-culture history.
Like "The Garbage Pail Kids Movie".

Braveheart


Remember when we used to love this?
Remember when it was the new "Conan The Barbarian"?

Then we found out Mel was literally a crazy drunk Nazi.
Kinda put a tarnish on things.

The bastard knows how to direct though...

1996

Waiting for Guffman 


The beginning of a great trilogy.
This, "Best Of Show", and "A Mighty Wind".
"A Mighty Wind", will even make you fucking bawl at one part.

And then Chris Guest went one time too many to the well with "For Your Consideration", and crashed the train into a gasoline truck.

The first three, still wonderful though.

The People Vs Larry Flint


Excellent.
One of the best things Woody Harrelson ever did.

Courtney Love is actually a damned good actress in this, and I'd wondered why she didn't do more movies, and assumed it was probably the drugs, but Robert Downey Jr. was just as bad at his worst, and he's goddamned Iron Man.
Then, you rewind to 2005, and she shot her mouth off about Harvey Weinstein before it became cool to do so now in 2017, and THAT'S probably why.
Fuck you, Weinstein, you gross horrible little slug man.
May all the gross horrible slug men, including the one in the White House, get theirs.

James and The Giant Peach


Tim Burton produced this, and he should have just produced "Charlie And The Chocolate Factory", and let someone else direct, and his record of Roald Dahl adaptations would have been stellar.

Instead, well...."James And The Giant Peach", is good.
Watch that.
And "Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory".
And "The Witches".
And "Matilda".
And "The BFG".

Dr. Who The Movie 


The failed pilot for a new series.
It took them 9 years to try again and get it right, and now it's still on, and The Doctor is about to finally be a girl.
Well, fuck critics, and most American viewers, I liked it, and I liked Paul McGann.

He still did his lost seasons as audio dramas, so you can track those down.

See here for the old show, here for the old movies, and here for the 50th anniversary.

1997

Selena


And the world was introduced to Jennifer Lopez.

She didn't work out as well as Angelina Jolie (see Hackers) in the long run.
It became a hipster thing to hate her ever-living guts, I'm just ambivalent.

This flick was good though.
One of the better musician bio-pics.

Contact


Mutilated the book, shoved Matt Mahinga-hey's character in as a doggie-bone to the Jesus people down south, and had a syrupy Disney cartoon ending.

I don't hate its guts though.
There are better movies to hate.

Neil Degrasse Tyson existing antidote-ed everything that chapped science people's asses about this.

When Time Expires


A cool little indie SF film.
About a time traveler (Richard Grieco) who goes back to the 90's to prevent World War Three by putting a quarter in a parking meter, because the ripple effect of a certain politician having to pay his parking ticket leads to legislation passing or not passing, that ripples out to nuclear war later.

Mark Hamill is the bad guy trying to stop him.

Very cleverly done with virtually zero special effects.
For example, Grieco's talking computer is a human guy on a hotel room TV screen.
Kind of a feature length "Twilight Zone", episode.
Like "The Man From Earth".

1998

Elizabeth


Queen Elizabeth was the most badass Queen ever.
At least she ran England as an actual country, all the meatheads that wanted to take her throne would've sold England off in chunks for golf courses or some shit.
That's barely hyperbole, they were really morons.
They deserve their place in history as excrement.
Good on her for curb stomping them.

This flick takes it up to her becoming Queen, and stops, but then "Elizabeth: The Golden Age", filled in the rest.
And came out 10 years later when the iron was cold, and no one cared.
Especially critics.

Cate Blanchett went on to play the Norse Grim Reaper for Marvel because there was nowhere left on the badass scale to go.
Also, because Marvel ate Hollywood.

Six String Samurai


Ain't It Cool News hyped this, because of course they did.

A guy who looks like Buddy Holly (called Buddy) wanders the post-apocalyptic wasteland trying to get to Las Vegas to be crowned the new king because Elvis was the first, and died, and there needs to be a new king, because reasons.

Meh, it's cute, and fun, and okay for one watch, but hipsters will tell you it's genius, and manna from Heaven.
Grin, and nod, and pat them on the head, and move along.

The composer for this went on to do "Bubba Ho-Tep".
Much better movie.

This was one of the first trailers I downloaded back before Youtube was a thing, and you had to download trailers as files to play off your hard-drive.
It was over dial-up, and took an hour.
Before this, I did "Alien: Resurrection", and after this "The Phantom Menace".
One a year.
Downloading trailers was really a pain in the ass.
If I remember right "Alien: Resurrection", kept timing out and failing, so it took a whole afternoon.
If everything worked perfectly, and no one else in town was clogging up the traffic, and draining down the speed, it would take an hour, but nothing was ever perfect.
Those times were awful, I never want to go back.

The Big Lebowski


The Coens followup to "Fargo".
Some consider "Fargo", their masterpiece, others consider this their masterpiece.
Yet a third group considers "Oh Brother Where Art Thou?", their masterpiece.
I don't judge any of those choices.
Except for the "Barton Fink", people.
Those people need a kneecapping with a tire iron.

I'm more of a "Fargo", person, because I need my humor pitch black.
"Lebowski's", a close runner up though.

Saving Private Ryan


Every once in awhile, I like to picture the soldiers from this movie liberating the camp from "Life Is Beautiful", then cry so hard I puke, and puke so hard I pass out, and pass out so hard, I wake up 6 days later, and feel reborn, and jot down messages I brought back with me from the Dr. Strange dimensions of the dream world.

No, none of that, I watched each once, and never again.
But that gives me an idea for a holocaust cinematic universe!
Get ready for a longer Oscar night!!

The Man In The Iron Mask


Best 3 Musketeers based adaptation period.
Forever.
Done.
*Claps hands together, then dusts them off, then holds them up*

What Dreams May Come


Y'know, as an atheist, I should hate this, but I don't.
Although, funnily enough, God in this version of the afterlife seems quite absent.

Good people go to a personal Hell by having depression?
Well, shit, then that means malignant narcissists shoot straight to Heaven.
What kind of justice is that?
Clearly, no one is minding the store.

Anyway, it's okay, cuz Robin Williams is there to save the day.
If it turned out by some freak twist of physics in the universe, there had to be an afterlife, I'd want Robin Williams to be my Guardian Angel.
I mean, I sure as fuck wouldn't want it to be Antonin Scalia.
I don't want anyone devoted to actual religion in charge of my eternity.
Noo-hoo-hoo-hoooeee!!
Neyooeee!!
Noe!

1999

Fight Club


This movie hated the bad parts of the 90's as much as I did, and it took me way too long to see it, because strangely, it attracted the exact same kind of hipsters the movie shat on.
(Again, see Ain't It Cool News)

Anyway, good flick.
I mean, it's not gonna transcend your soul into a higher dimension, or any of that shit, but it's a good spin.

Bowfinger


Best Eddie Murphy movie, bam, done *dusts hands again*


Aaaand, that's all the 90's movies I feel like talking about.
Hope ya saw something you haven't seen, and now want to.
Or something ya have, but looked at in a new way, and wanna see it again.

Up next, some shows I forgot.


4 comments:

B. D. said...

Kirsten Dunst - She still looks like she's in her early 20s, too. The only thing I know about the silly remake is that there was some dumbass uproar over the female lead's slutty costume.

"Nixon" - One of Stone's best movies, and one of Anthony Hopkins' best performances (in spite of not really looking or sounding like Nixon), but oh man I don't know about him being able to "fix anything"...."Bad Company"? "All The King's Men"? He's in that new "Transformers" film and he was so impressed by how quickly Michael Bay makes these godawful movies that he called him a "genius" on Jimmy Kimmel! WTF Sir Anthony!
Oh BTW both the Donald Sutherland scene in "JFK" and the Sam Waterston scene in this, are pure evil and are awesome. Totally chilling shit.

Jefferson - Shame about the slaveowning and such - he was a really brilliant guy. Ah, 'murrica in all its contradictions...hey, Nixon was a really smart guy too! dammit!

"Braveheart" - I didn't like this film much as a kid but didn't really watch it in full until two or three years ago, and didn't like it. Just....it's the same as all other Mel-directed films, it's ham-fisted and his over the top violence goes too far over the top. Oh I can put up with it not being historically accurate, and I can put up with it stacking the deck ("prima noctis" or whatever it is, is supposedly a total myth) but would a tiny bit of subtlety have killed Mel? Anyway, I don't really think Mel now is that different from Mel then. And yeah he can direct! So maybe he should get a codirector or something to temper his worst impulses? George Lucas should do that too.

"People vs. Larry Flynt" - Courtney was terrific in this...and just pure proof of what a totally inconsistent person she is. I no longer believe she killed Kurt, and she does deserve points for the Harvey Weinstein thing, and I guess her daughter turned out sane somehow (sad as it was she lost her dad, you can guess Kurt probably wouldn't have done a hell of a lot to raise her). There are worse grey areas in Hollywood, I guess.

Roald Dahl - Not that you have to care, but the real life guy was sort of a douche. Geez, we're running into lots of these lately. Am *I* a douche? God, probably!

Lebowski - *tiny font* i like barton fink

SPR - Go look up the concentration camp liberation scene from "Band of Brothers" (or watch the whole thing, just 10 episodes) and BTW it really happened!

Bowfinger - Saw it in theaters, would've liked more mockery of $cientology. Maybe Bobcat Goldthwait should do the big $cientology-bombing movie.



Diacanu said...

Anthony Hopkins- Oh, shit, that's right. I try to block the live-action Transformers franchise from my mind. Damn...

Gibson's directing- Yeah, his excesses were pretty glaring in "The Patriot", now that I think of it. I saw that in a drive-in with mosquitos biting me. The place was surrounded by woods with stagnant ponds. Brilliant.

Roald Dahl - Well, now you have to tell me the dirt. I saw a documentary on him, and all they said was he had rampaging PTSD from being a fighter pilot in World War I, and he wrote really bleak adult novels about war and apocalypse that failed before he decided to get into children's books. His family was involved with that doc, and family always white-washes. What assholish shit did he do?

Barton Fink- Lol!! That's fine. Just so long as you don't worship it, and write Josh Marton style essays on it. *Winces* oh, shit, you did, didn't you?

Band Of Brothers liberation scene- Fuck...

Bowfinger- Bobcat just directed Patton Oswalt's new special, he (Patton) talks about his dead wife at the end, you'll have to struggle not to bawl.
As for Scientology, Leah Remini (wife from King Of Queens) has been doing a whole series on blowing the lid off them.
She's told her own story, and now she aims the camera at anyone with a Scientology escape survivor story.
Don't look for Tom Cruise to ever snap out of it, he's deeply persuaded by the head honcho that he's Scientology's Jesus.

B. D. said...

Anthony Hopkins - Don't forget crud like "Freejack," "Bad Company," "Instinct," that movie he did with Pacino, "All The Kings' Men," he's got lots of turds. I don't know if his acting in those movies is bad necessarily but no, he doesn't save them. Yep, he called Bay "one of the greatest directors of all time," and sadly Spielberg seems to like Bay too. Whatever, I'm never watching Bay's movies, I refuse to so much as spend ten seconds on Transformers.

Gibson - "The Patriot" was Roland Emmerich and not a very good movie at that. But as an actor Gibson beat martyrdom, revenge, GETTING REALLY REALLY ANGRYYYY, and flashing his butt, to death.
What's his best work as an "actor," anyway? Mad Max was just his interpretation of Clint Eastwood, that character's a cipher. He's been in good stuff but was it ever really great because of *him*?

Dahl - Here's a starting point....make what you will of this....again, hey, you don't really have to give a crap, do what you want with this:
http://www.nytimes.com/1990/12/07/opinion/l-roald-dahl-also-left-a-legacy-of-bigotry-880490.html

Barton Fink - Mmmm....I dunno about writing a Josh Martin style essay (since he probably would have hated it anyway) but I will say that the only thing in it I don't care for is the ambiguity at the end about what's in the box, that device doesn't much work. It is probably most interesting in that I can't tell if the movie is blaming Barton more for what happened (because he professes to love common people, but doesn't listen to them) or Hollywood (for chewing him up and spitting him out.)

Patton Oswalt - People have been really shaken up by this wife thing! (Just an observation). It seems like every time I see Oswalt mentioned, the wife is mentioned too (eewgh, I'm treading on bad ground here.)

I did know about Leah Remini but I kind of wanted, uh, well, more people than that. But gads, everyone finds out about "Xenu" eventually, and everyone finds out that they have the lawyers and the $$$ to get away with all their crap. I guess you have to be indoctrinated into their cult while young and impressionable.
I wonder if Cruise could find out for us if Miscavige really did kill his wife and that she's not actually "stuck in the house."

Diacanu said...


Anthony Hopkins- I'm thinking those Transformers paychecks must be big and fat, because they turn good actors into total bukkake cum sluts.

Gibson's acting career- "He's been in good stuff but was it ever really great because of *him*?". *Mentally struggles* Nope. He's right-wing Tom Cruise. A pretty face that got lucky.

Dahl- Ah, Jew hater. Lotta that going around back then. I used to think Frank Baum who wrote Wizard Of Oz was pure, but I found out he was bigoted to Native Americans. Thought they were losers that didn't put up a good enough fight against us, so they deserved to die off. Pretty vile.

Barton Fink- "Mmmm....I dunno about writing a Josh Martin style essay". I was just messin with ya. ;-) Yeah, I don't think there's supposed to be any heroes in that story. It would have been more challenging if John Goodman wasn't a serial killer at the end. I thought that was an easy way out. I don't hate Barton Fink as a flick, I just don't think it was anywhere near the Coen's best. I just expressed it with my usual comedic hyperbole.

Patton Oswalt- "People have been really shaken up by this wife thing!". Well, his natural resting state is terrible depression, so a real tragedy could send him over the edge. No one wants him to be the next Robin Williams.

"I did know about Leah Remini but I kind of wanted, uh, well, more people than that".
The Cosby allegations started 10 years before they hit a tipping point, the Weinstein allegations started 10 years ago before hitting a tipping point. If Remini keeps pecking away, the dam will burst, and you'll hear more.

Blog Archive

Labels