Sunday, October 15, 2023

MCU Blu-ray catch up.


Got these yesterday.
Just finished up today.
I'm all caught up to Marvel now.
..until "The Marvels" drops in a couple weeks.


Thor: Love And Thunder (2022)



Yeah, I stand by that.
The critics are being spoiled brats.

They say up and down they're getting Marvel burnout, but the MCU is as much content as a series binge, and these same people will burn through "Game Of Thrones" or "Orphan Black" or "Black Sails" or "Better Call Saul" or whatever without batting an eye.

So, I call total bullshit.


Black Panther: 
Wakanda Forever (2022)


And, thus ends phase 4.
I can compile them now. Stay tuned for that.

I liked this a lot, but I didn't love it.
I loved bits of it, but it got laggy in the middle.
2 hours 40 minutes is too long. I slipped into a nap before I could finish.
It needed trimming.
IMO, Riri Williams needed to have her own origin movie.
The Namor stuff is fine.


Ant-Man 
and The Wasp: 
Quantumania (2023)


And thus begins phase 5.

I loved it.
The critics and Honest Trailers can go fuck off.
Cut and paste everything I just said about Thor 4.

I liked this way better than Guardians 3.
WAY better.
I think the critics were so goddamned sure Guardians was going to deliver the goods, and pimp-slap this one, they didn't let themselves enjoy what was right in front of them.

Much as I said the Waititi Thors have a Heavy Metal Magazine vibe, this had it times 100.
This was a library of sci-fi magazine painted covers come to life.
It's fucking wild.
The critics were all "waaahhh!! Too much CG!".
Eat my ass. The world of the quantum realm is wild, and I dig it.
I could have watched 5 hours of this.

None of these really disappointed.
Enjoyed all three.

Now!! My not-so-quickie review of phase 4.
While individual movies are instant classics, the overall saga they're assembling is incoherent.
I knew way more what was going on in the larger story of the other phases.
Phase 4 has 7 movies; phase 1 had gotten to Avengers 1, and then movie 7 was movie 1 of phase 2, which was Iron Man 3.
A nice complete arc had been told.
Can you plot the arc of this new stuff?
How does it hook together?
I'm not seeing a structure yet.
This is one complaint I share with the critics.
Where are we going?

We know Kang is the new Thanos, but that's about it.
Phase 5 needs to tighten this shit up. And fucking soon. Really soon.
You're losing people. Not me, I'm more patient, but still.

Well, maybe that's what's really causing the burnout. 
Frustration over the uber-story not gelling this time. Come on, Marvel, get it together.
You can do it.


No comments:

Blog Archive

Labels