Thursday, August 24, 2023

Birthday loot 2023 (Part 2).


Nabbed these three Tuesday, (8/22/23)


Evil Dead Rise (2023)


Previously with (movie) Evil Dead-


Finally got it!!!

I think I like this a smidge better than ED2013.
Just a smidge though.
Definitely like Beth better than Mia.
Both actress wise, and how much her character is fleshed out.
She's worthy of being Ash #3.
Definitely like this being a fresh story instead of a retread of 1-2.
Although, visual/dialog callbacks to 1-2 are there.

Only bummer, they're going anthology style, so no more Beth; it'll be yet another protagonist next time.

Mild spoilers-

Ash sorta-cameos.
That's all the detail I'll give there.

Yep, Lee Cronin onscreen canonized the "Naturom Demonto" (AKA Necronomicon) being a three volume set.
Ash's, Mia's, Beth's.
They don't make that layer to it explicit, but if you've seen all the other flicks leading into this, you just know. So, yeah, all 5 flicks are canon with each other.

And y'know what's wild? 
Six years ago to the day, I nabbed Ash vs Evil Dead season 2, and Guardians 2.
Which segues into the next thing....


Guardians Of The Galaxy Volume 3 (2023)


Jesus H. Christ! That was like going to a funeral for Mister Rogers in a parallel universe where he was killed by Leatherface!! Is James Gunn okay?? Did he go off his meds? What the holy flaming fuck was that?!?!?!

Sorry, Faceook friends, I know that's a re-paste of what I already said there, but I can't say it better.

I'm only glad my Bullmoose discount card made it free.
Yeah...I dunno if I can bring myself to do a trilogy marathon.
1-2 bring me joy, then this is "Revenge Of The Sith" without "A New Hope" to fix it.
No, worse, it's "Revenge Of The Sith" with the "Phantom Menace" victory parade for no goddamned good reason.
Ooof!
Marvel is slipping. 
I hate that it makes the haters who always hated right about something, but there it is.
It just might be up to Deadpool 3 to save the day.
No pressure, Ryan Reynolds.


Star Trek: Prodigy, season 1, part 1. (2022)



Prodigy was my antidote.
And boy, did I need it.
Prodigy crew are the new Guardians.
Consciously noticed the Guardians influences as I binged along.
That all being said, I think I've finally decided I like Lower Decks better.
I love Prodigy, I love its heart and optimism, but LD rewards the long-term hardcore fan, and is totally my sense of humor.
But...it is kind of apples vs oranges, really.

And, that's those!
Still some birthday wad left, so stay tuned for more!!



No comments:

Blog Archive

Labels