Saturday, November 24, 2018

My thing on racism.


Pasted from Facebook-

Here's why racism never took with me.
It's no beautiful civil rights story or nothing, so don't get excited.

One time, can't exactly remember what age I was, 5 or 6 , maybe, and I'm at the grocery store.
A black family is there. A little girl in the front rack child seat thingy of the cart, and then her fat big brother is wandering around finding shenanigans to get up to.
The mother is off, I dunno, looking at frozen peas, or something.
The big brother grabs this rubber Halloween mask off a spinner rack, and puts it on, and it's this foul looking thing. Like, a Yeti looking thing with a cyclops eye sticking out on a stalk like a crab eye.
He makes a "rarrr!!", noise at his sister with this thing on, and she goes into full bawl mode.
Ramps up like a siren. Their mother finally pops back into the scene, and whacks the brother on the back of the head. I'm watching this whole thing guiltily laughing, cuz I've seen this exact scene happen with my cousins. I didn't consciously form the thoughts "wow, we're really all the same", I just knew in feelings.
After that, no one could sell me on the whole "they're not like us", line of bullshit.
I knew better.
So, that killed racism.
Ashamed to say I had a homophobia phase, but that's another story.


No comments:

Blog Archive

Labels