Saturday, April 4, 2009

Where myth goes to die.

A friend of mine once said "all religion begins as faith. Once faith has died and been fossilized, then it becomes religion".

I don't agree.

I think it's when myth becomes fossilized, it becomes religion.

Myths are for people, not the the other way around.
Religion puts that cart before the horse.

Good myths show us who we are, and who we can be.
And that can be a good thing.
It can help point the way, and give us belief in ourselves, and what we're capable of.

Now, if one wants to call that belief "faith", then so be it.

And indeed, I think that belief in self dies when literally believed in imaginary celestial dictators, and their middle-men get in the way.

And among other things, as an artist, I'd like myth to be liberated from this sort of thing.
From the lawmakers, and power brokers.
(Something I railed about near the end of the superstition rant, in fact)

I think that's a component that believer and non-believer alike is getting sick of.

At least I hope so.

( click here for sequel)

No comments:

Blog Archive

Labels