Thursday, June 17, 2021

Ghostbusters: Answer The Call, 5 years later.


Well, it'll be 5 years in a month minus two days from now.
But why not get a jump on things?
So, rounding it up to 5 years, its been as long as in between Ghostbusters 1 & 2.
That's a helluva thing to contemplate
Sooo, let's look back.


Yes, I loved it, yes, I defended it, yes I'll always put it in my Ghostbusters binges.

But, in hindsight, it was the wrong movie at the wrong time.

Even genie poofing away the incels, and red-pillers, and MGTOWS, and MAGAs, etc, etc, from the equation.

See, I didn't fully understand the Ghostbusters fandom.
I thought all Ghostbusters fans were like me.

Nope, it really breaks down into 3 camps.

1. People who loved the original movie, and for them, Ghostbusters can only be those original guys, and every movie has to be a class reunion of those guys, or it's no-go.
These are the kind of people who howled and thrashed over Star Trek TNG existing for not having Kirk.

2. Hardcore dweebies like me who have consumed every scrap of media the property has produced for three decades. 
Cartoons, comics, games, all of it.
Guys like me understand you can rearrange the casting, the genders, etc, etc, cuz the cartoons and comics already did it. We were the most open to a re-cast. But we were a tiny sliver of the pie.

3. These infuriating confusing weirdo motherfuckers who ACT like they're people like me, but only because they own a garage full of Slimer merchandise, but are really assholes from group #1 in disguise.

I underestimated that the majority of the mainstream public are from camps 1 and 3.
The group 3 fuckers threw my math off.

And I think they tricked Paul Feig too.

Cuz as I've broken down before, GB:ATC is really a love-letter to the cartoon.
The bigger your nostalgia goggles for the cartoon, the more you tend to love ATC.

People from column 1 and 3 were NEVER gonna give a chance to a love-letter movie to the cartoon.
They wanted their original-gen reunion movie, or they were gonna tar and feather a muthafucka.

Guys like me from column 2 were a minority.
You don't make a movie for just weirdos like me if you want to make that ridiculous budget back.

But, again, they weren't making it for just me, they thought the column 3 people were column 2 people.
And not for lack of trying to get the math right, but these fucking people will lie right to your fucking face without blinking or cracking a sweat.

"Oh, yes, I've collected every piece of merchandise, read every comic, and....WHAAAA!!! Where's Bill Murray as Peter?!?!?!? I'm gonna burn your family!!!!".

ATC would have had a hard time against those fucking people even if Trump hadn't happened.
But fucking Trump happened.

In hindsight, the girls should have been the adult daughters, and it should have dropped in like, 2030.
It just wasn't the right time.

BUT, all that said, I'm glad they tried, cuz I like the movie, and am glad it exists.
Precisely because it caters to niche weirdos like me.
It failing was a capitalism problem.
And a dragging inferior morons tied to our ankles like an anchor problem.
Which is also a capitalism problem.

So, yeah, the business part of show business hurt ATC.

But, streaming is made more for niche weirdos.
You can take crazier chances on things like ATC now thanks to the streaming boom.
Like, regular-ass basic cable would never take a chance on a Castlevania show, or a He-Man reunion.
But fucking Netflix will!
Netflix ain't playing!

If they ever want to try Answer The Call 2, put it on Netflix or Hulu.
You listening Dan Aykroyd?


3 comments:

B. D. said...

https://mobile.twitter.com/baseballcrank/status/1406275853084921861

yeesh

Diacanu said...


Some of the comments are golden.

Yeah, I remember someone celebrating the death of Richard Dawkins's dog once.
People can be turds.

Oh, speaking of religious people acting the ass, "The Last Temptation Of Christ" was on tonight.
Only in a world so shitty could that be controversial.
That wasn't blasphemy, that was fuckin' fanfic.

I'm reading all of Margaret Bonanno's books now.
I was in the process before she died, now I really have to catch up on them.
"Preternatural" she has a female Jesus erased by history, and re-discovered my telepathic time travel.
No one picketed her.
Cuz she wasn't Martin Scorsese.
Just as well there wasn't a hoo-ha, when women stir up shit, they don't become Scorsese, they become Kathy Griffin.



B. D. said...

Cheap shots at the Biden family sure are popular...Fox News went off on Jill Biden for wearing tights once...

TLTOC was a huge disappointment to me. Overlong and hammily acted on Dafoe's part. I haven't revisited it but I thought it was one of the weakest Scorsese films.
Come to think of it, none of his three big dream projects must have been entirely satisfying...
TLTOC was acclaimed but destroyed financially at the box office by controversy.
"Gangs Of New York" is almost universally regarded as a potential masterpiece destroyed at the last minute by Harvey Weinstein who turned the final act into incomprehensible mush.
"Silence" is a good film and seemingly what he wanted it to be but so few people seemed to see it or talk about it.

It is because it's Scorsese, too--three years after TLTOC we had "The Rapture" starring $cientology queenpin Mimi Rogers and...uhh, you've seen THAT one right? The blasphemy in that film's ending makes Dafoechrist's little Magdalene-bang-hallucination look like the work of Pat Robertson by comparison.

I wanted to say that it was the times, too (the Salman Rushdie disaster was same year as TLTOC) but then again that XTC song I showed you was a hit in 1987...

Blog Archive

Labels