Wednesday, February 9, 2022

Star Trek: Prodigy, season 1, part 1.


Almost a week late, because I struggled over whether to wait for all 20 episodes to be done, but...it's looking like season 1 part 2 won't drop until fucking Christmas, so, screw it, here we go.


The buildup to get here-



Non-spoilers-

-I really dig it.
-About what I expected as far as helping the newbie kid viewers slowly get up to speed on Starfleet, communicator badges, tricorders, replicators, transporters, warp drive, holograms, etc, etc.
-Nice balance of the feel of Trek, and Nickleodeon-ness, with a dash of Clone Wars.
-Not goo-goo-ga-ga baby stuff. As long as you don't cuss, and flash tits, or splatter gore, you can actually do some heavy stuff. About on par with what the original "The Animated Series" had for tone.
Like TAS, it's real Trek. 
-Kate Mulgrew is back, baby!

Medium spoilers-

-Chakotay? Yes. And no.
-Okona. No. At least not yet. Maybe on the back half of the season.
-Another Caitian to tie it to TAS!

Full spoilers-
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
-Holograms of Spock, Scotty, Uhura, Crusher, and Odo!!!! 😁
-Holograms of all the series hero ships up to Discovery, minus Cerritos. 😁
-Kobayashi Maru!
-Timey-wimey is involved with how the Protostar got to the Delta Quadrant, but they're saving the fine details for part 2, I guess. 🙄


I'll have to let it percolate to decide whether I like this or Lower Decks better.
It does make me happy though.
I'd recommend it.

Anyway, I felt like I had to drop this review today since Discovery starts right friggin' tomorrow.




No comments:

Blog Archive

Labels