Wednesday, February 2, 2022

Ghostbusters: Afterlife (blu-ray!!)


Got it yesterday!!


And it's not the exact international poster, they added Carrie Coon to the group.
Click the link to compare.

Previous review, and afterthoughts-


The original review pretty much stands.
In the last 4 months, I forgot how fucking good it was.
I needed the reminder.
For some reason, the impact of it faded a bit.
Boom, I was right back in on the second viewing.
I even said out loud "damn, I forgot just how fucking good this was!".

Phoebe and Podcast might be my new favorite Ghostbusters characters.
Sorry, Holtzmann.


Anyway! 
Right after the second viewing, like JL Snyder Cut, I re-did the whole trilogy, with the trilogy viewing being my third Afterlife viewing.

Marvelous. 
Re-doing 1 & 2 right after Afterlife, you get the Easter eggs in reverse.
Highly recommend this order.
Afterlife, 1, 2, Afterlife again.
In a loop.
You catch everything that way.

I said it before on Facebook today, some duologies are okay as duologies, but Ghostbusters really needed its part 3.
It flows so much better as a trilogy.
So much more satisfying.


Aaaand, of course, after all that, of course I did ATC again.
Because why not?
If I'm in for a Ghostbusters marathon, I'm all in.

Afterlife trounces it, for sure, but I still love it, because it's so fucking weird.

Its tone is heightened and cartoony like, well, the cartoon, it brutally makes fun of real paranormal investigations, it makes fun of Trump supporters, Katie Dippold's sense of humor is fucking weird, and then top it all off with the weird improvisations, and it's just a goddamned strange flick.
And I'm glad such a weird flick exists.
I expected to be down on it after Afterlife, but no, it's in the lower tier of my rankings, but I still get a kick out of it.
Glad I tossed it into the marathon.

So, there, my journey with this flick is done.
I've got it.
Now, the wait for the sequels.
Stay tuned!


No comments:

Blog Archive

Labels