Friday, November 8, 2019

Doctor Sleep (2019)

Big 2019 Movies Part 14.

Previously-




Previously from Stephen King-

Previously with Shining/Dr Sleep-

Loved it.
Not as good as "The Shining", but pretty damned good.

Not as good as the book in a lot of ways, better in other ways.
I didn't miss the AA bullshit.
There's a little of it, but the book really lingers on it like an infomercial for it.

I can't dig too far into stuff they added and leave out without spoilers, so when I do the 2019 spoiler reviews, I'll dig into it all the way there.
Stay tuned for that.

I liked everything they added, I didn't miss most of what they cut, except for a couple things, but they didn't spoil anything for me.

As a sequel to Kubrick's Shining, excellent.
Stephen King, who hates Kubrick's, says this movie redeems it for him.
High praise!
And finally, closure to that whole drama.

Rebecca Ferguson nails Rose The Hat.
I'd put her up there with Joker and Darth Vader for movie villains, she's fucking awesome.
I agree with Perri Nemiroff, I'd watch a prequel of just her.

Long, but it's all good, no boring parts, or at least when it is slow, it's still feeding you vital info you're paying attention to, so you're never checking your watch (or cellphone I guess it would be nowadays (don't do that, btw, it's rude)).

Kyliegh Curran is great as Abra.
She'll be a Marvel superhero someday, mark my words.

Ewan McGregor is excellent as Danny, but of course he is, he's Ewan McGregor.

A feast of callbacks to the first film.

I'd rank the flicks of the King renaissance.....

1. IT: Chapter 1
2. Doctor Sleep (by a molecule)
3. IT: Chapter 2
4. Pet Sematary (by a huge dropoff)
5. Dark Tower (ditto)

And, I'd put Doctor Sleep up in my top 5 of this whole year.
I dunno where yet, but it's up high.

Shining fans rejoice, they fucking did it.
Go see it.


Next time, The Rise Of Skywalker!!!!!!!!!!!!


No comments:

Blog Archive

Labels