Sunday, December 2, 2018

Corrections/updates Part 6.


In "A final note on all things Ebert", I threw one last Molotov cocktail on Ebert's grave.

Eh, another case of me having to let shit go.

It occurred to me when Bush Senior died.
The media is painting him as a saint, and yeah, he acted classier than Trump (pretty low fucking bar) but he was still anti-gay and anti help for AIDS patients.

That's the shit we should be throwing Molotovs at, not some dopey critic of movies.

Ebert had some opinions I didn't care for, and in the case of horror movies, he tried to do harm.
But those movies are unscathed.
He didn't leave a scratch.

Shit, he gave bad reviews to stuff that's on the AFI top 100.
Stuff that everyone recognizes as classics.

One of the hosts of "The Projection Booth", said it best.
"I don't know why he was the most respected and beloved critic ever, when he was the one who so often got it wrong".

And I tried to figure it out, and, maybe it was because he was on TV in a pre-internet era.

...but so was Leonard Maltin.
Maltin was smarter, nicer, and he was on every goddamned day of the week thanks to Entertainment Tonight, and he worked like a goddamned plow ox writing his movie guides every year.

It was the thumbs up thumbs down gimmick.

That clicked for people.

Maltin, you had to listen to words, Siskel & Ebert, thumbs.

Whatever, that's the public's fault.

And yeah, I spit venom in the past that he never apologized to Meir Zarchi.
Whatever, it's not my business who he apologized to.
Zarchi got even by having the Joe Bob Briggs commentary on "I Spit On Your Grave".
That movie will outlive the both of them.
That's the best revenge of all.

Who knows why he couldn't bring himself to re-examine shit like that.
Maybe he swallowed the "no apologies", bullshit from watching too many John Wayne movies.
That'd be ironic, given his reaction to "The Green Berets".

Anyway, again, it's the public's fault for giving critics too much power in our culture.
We've gone from thumbs to tomatoes.
Billions of dollars in tech and software, and that's as far as we got.
Good job!
*Sarcastic thumbs up*

Speaking of critics, I knew a guy who became a critic.
He's ghosted and lurked me even longer than my crappy relative!
Hi, Paul!
*Waves*

So, yeah, that's that, I guess.

No more Ebert rants.
This time for sure.
It's the politicians, organized religion, and industrial polluters we should hate.
Everyone else is a distraction.


No comments:

Blog Archive

Labels