Monday, December 19, 2016

Big Winter Movies Part 2. (Part 4).


Let's not dick around, it's Star Wars.


Rogue One:
A Star Wars Story (2016)


Previously-

Again, as with last time, no spoilers.

Quickie version, HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!!!!!!!!!

Rundown version.
  • Star Wars came back with Force Awakens, and it's still back.
  • Personally, and this is just me, better than Force Awakens.
  • The first awesome prequel!!!!! The curse is broken!!!!
  • Still fresh off the buzz, but in this moment, I'd rank 'em...5,R1,4,7,6,3,2,1.
  • Chock full of Easter eggs for the longtime SW geek.
  • A true prequel, meshes right up to ANH.
  • You will never watch ANH the same way ever again.
  • You will want to slap in your DVD/Blu-Ray of ANH the second you make it home.
  • Did I mention "HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!!!!!!!!!"?? I did? Good.
  • Now..the nitpicky shit...
  • No opening crawl. I got over it quick. I figure, this movie goes inside the opening crawl to ANH.
  • No John Williams, and no familiar themes until the credits music. The score is good, once you're caught up in the movie, you're fine. I can see others not liking the new composer's style, but whatever. I thought it was Star Wars flavored. John Williams is classic green Mountain Dew, and this was new purple Mountain Dew. Either way, you're getting some core Dew in there.
  • Title cards for planets. That's new.
  • Best character? All the critics are saying it, but K-2SO, easily.
  • All the human characters are great too, you'll fall in love with them, especially Jyn, Cassian, and Chirrut.
  • Now for almost-spoilers. You won't understand until you see it, so I'm not really telling anything...
  • A classic ANH baddie shows up in CG form...and...uncanny valley. Not as bad as Snoke, but..yeah. I can forgive it though.
  • Odd though, because a classic ANH goodie also shows, up, and they nailed that one.
  • Vader is thinly sprinkled, but boy, do they ever make him count!!
  • Expands the SW mythos with ideas that were in Lucas's original drafts, and that have been in the novels, but now they're onscreen canon. I ate that shit up like Halloween candy.
  • Definitely have to see it at least one more time.
  • My first movie in a long time I went to at night. Circumstances demanded it.
  • Wasn't crowded at all.
  • Had to sit in the back though. Some dudes had my favorite spot. Oh well, it was a good view.
  • Ride back was sweet, barely any traffic. Lights were quick, or on my side.
  • Now, to go watch all the Youtube spoiler reviews, and Easter-egg videos I've been accumulating.
  • So, yeah, if you haven't seen it yet, you better have a damned good excuse. SEE IT NOW!!!

Hmm, yeah, I think that's rambled on long enough.

Next time, this at least once more, then Logan!!


2 comments:

Tezcatlipoca said...

Was this a film with a Mexican director? Loved it. Dark.

B. D. said...

This...I think it looks pretty good...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haXvp8M9Cog

Oh the CGI G.M.T. has already been spoiled for me...seems like that's what they were all complaining about so far. I guess they didn't want to hire the guy they had for two seconds near the end of ROTS.

Blog Archive

Labels