Thursday, October 26, 2017

I don't h8 the 90's anymore (Part 5.75).

Forgot some more shows....


Tales From The Crypt (1989-1996)


See here for the cartoon.
See here for the old and modern movies, and here for my re-review of the old movies.

John Kassir is another voice-over God.
(See also Rob Paulson, and Maurice LaMarche)

Arnold Schwarzenegger directed an episode.
He never tried his hand at directing ever again.
Unless you count Governor of California.

One of my cousins called Cryptkeeper "Criffie".
That became a family meme.

Some of the guys who worked on "Freddy's Nightmares", moved over to "Crypt", to help trim the budget.

M. Night Shyamalan attampted a reboot, but it fell apart.
He's finishing the "Unbreakable", trilogy instead.
I'd rather see that, so good for him.

Besides, because of rights issues, the reboot wouldn't have had Criffie.
Screw that!


Seaquest DSV (1993-1996)


It was on network TV, but Sci-Fi reran it, so that's my loophole to cable.

Roy Scheider starred.
He was also Punisher's dad.
He's gone now. :-(

Jonathan Brandis was in this.
He was in 90's "It", and "Neverending Story 2".
He's dead now.
Killed himself.
Jake Lloyd probably isn't too long for the world....

Ted Raimi was in this.
And not as a wacky character!
I know!!

And it also had the infamous talking dolphin that I talked about here in the Trek novels segment.

It tried to be Star Trek in the water, but with plausible science, and it started off pretty good, but then by the last season, they encountered alien meat-eating plants that made Tasmanian Devil noises, and King fucking Neptune.
So, another crash and burn like "Sliders".


White Dwarf (1995)


Unlike "Sliders", and "Seaquest", this didn't start as serious SF, and go batshit, this started at batshit, and hit the ground with the tires already spinning.

A guy who wants to be a fancy New York doctor goes to serve his internship at this alien planet that has medieval princesses, and wizards, and Paul Winfield has magic red surgical gloves that let him reach into people's guts without cutting, and they save a dying boy's soul by shouting his name at the water at a magic beach, and.....I dunno.
The critics were just as confused as I was.
Aeon Flux was less confusing.

It's on Youtube if you want to try to make heads or tails of it.

It was ambitious, I'll give it that.


And THAT is finally the 90's all done!!!
Up next, a quick stop off back at the 00's!!


2 comments:

B. D. said...

TFFC - Don't remember any episodes of this, though I knew about the Schwarzenegger thing. It's hilarious that his only attempt at directing isn't well known at all, but then again his movies all fail now anyway.

"seaQuest" - don't you just love the stupid lower case spelling? I watched episodes of this, didn't it end with the sub being destroyed to prevent some undersea volcano from destroying the world?

I can remember seeing Jonathan Brandis all over the place in the 90s...he was in Rodney Dangerfield's godawful girls' soccer movie "Ladybugs," and oh puke, Chuck Norris' ultra-embarrassing "Sidekicks," one of the campiest movies of its time. I know that every time I walked past a magazine rack in the 90s, he'd be on the cover of those teen girl magazines. Lots of people probably remember him.
I think Leonardo DiCaprio stole his look and then made him obsolete, is what happened. That or he got sick of all the teen girl attention (hey, DiCaprio got sick of it too allegedly.)

Ted Raimi showed up on the original "Twin Peaks," he played a doofus heavy metal guy who that "Windom Earle" guy kills, by stuffing him in a big paper maiche chess piece, then shooting him with an arrow. Eeww. Uh, I guess that's not serious though.

Diacanu said...


Seaquest ending- Oh Hell, I dunno, I bailed out long before.
*Googles*
Yeah, Roy Sheider left, and Michael Ironside took his place.
Oh yeah, they got sucked up by aliens, and brought back 10 years later due to time dilation, I forgot that whole bit.
They really mutilated that show.
Depressing.

They (network suits) don't do that anymore, they just pull the plug now.
I don't know which is better.
I hate that they killed Hannibal, but I'd rather it went out as a horror masterpiece than get retooled as a sitcom with some cute kids, and Hannibal becomes vegan, and he marries Fran Drescher, and they adopt a sassy Muppet delivered by the stork.

Jonathan Brandis- Fuck, yeah, I remember all that shit now. His agent needs to never work again.

Ted Raimi- He played a scary psycho in Darkman too.
He's better than the opportunities he gets.

Blog Archive

Labels