Monday, October 2, 2017

Happy 12th anniversary, "Nobody Loves Harry Hembock".



Previous years.

So, I said here that I was done making bonus content for the Harry/Jade-Shade hybrid book, but there's one more I wanted to do.
So here it is.
The pre-history of Harryverse by way of explaining the Easter eggs to the ending of QD/JS.
Which is retroactively NLHH's sequel anyway, so it counts towards the holiday.

From QD/JS season 2, chapter 27.

This whole episode (chapter 26 that this is goofing on) was a deliberate mirror image to season 1, chapter 14 (the one with Mr. Sleepy Seeds).
I had this planned out since I wrote that one, but it took for-fucking-ever to get there.

"Round Dog", Ripington was a shock-jock from an anthology story I did with other writers.
I've kidnapped him back into my continuity.
I figured he and Offal would make fast friends.

"Saypoo", "flatulato!!", *Brooommpptt!!*, "wash your ass!", "devooooos!!", "sawk eet", "saaawwk and faawwwk!", "for the fuckin' yams", "Booo!! Fuckin' booo!! Go suck a weenie!! WEENIE!!!", and "I'll never die again!", are all memes I've employed at various times, both on and off line.

"Snoosh", "sook-a da kook!!", and "tits-and-belly", are things my grandmother said, so that's a dedication to her.

"Ease in The Badawa", was a baby-talk phrase I said when I was tiny.
I was trying to say "so are the Days Of Our Lives".
"Ease in The Badawa", sounds like it should mean something, so I gave it a backstory further down.

Palapulam, and Plawnee were my baby-talk for Charlie Brown and Snoopy.
They make good alien names.
Maybe some other time.

Mimme is named after "mim!", the very first baby-talk noise I ever made.
The deal with her being a female cupid that died was a weird dream I had in my single-digit ages that stuck with me for some reason.
I mashed those together for this.
Made sense that Mimme was her.

So, yeah, I'm really getting all my fucking characters in here going literally all the way back.

Teetso was what I called my tricycle, so I had the modern JS vehicles up to the rocket pack be descended from the Teetso line, like Starships called Enterprise.

"The violent crapping of Angus McUngus", was a cartoon I was going to draw in the 90's, but I could never find a way to make it funny past the title.

Eidolon and Nut-Crush being Harry Hembock's parents was something I had planned way back, and wanted it to be its own chapter, but I just ran out of time on this thing, and needed to wrap it up quick.

Fingers McGinty is the longer name for just "Fingers", who is what I called the little finger man I used to do when I was bored as a little kid.
My parents thought I thought he was real.
I just got into my playing, and really committed.
They never got that.
Even after shrinks explained it.
Whatever.
*Gives the finger*

Commander Vindication is an obvious stand in for me.
A high school friend dangled a girl out the third story window, then pulled her back in.
Everyone laughed it off as horesplay, I wasn't impressed.
But I also didn't stop him.
I was going to do a chapter where Commander Vindication threw him out a window to his death.
Turns out it takes more than that to clean a conscience.
*Sigh*

The creepy rocking chair was a dream I had as a kid, and it was exactly as described, I saw the thing in a book (in the dream), then I was sitting in the thing.

"The Books Of Blah", was a comedy-horror book I was going to write, and may still someday write.
The dreams its made up of (in season 2, chapter 25) are all real dreams I had.

"A leg-end waiting to happeeeen!", was a misheard snippet of an anime song that I turned into a meme.
Much like "all the drugs in me, all the bugs in me!!".

Okay, this next bit is a mess, and a ramble, and needs sifting apart, but a thinking planet's ramble would probably be even more incomprehensible than this anyway.

Superstar is a character I doodled in 1982.
Superior Seven I made in 1987.
Glob I created in 1985. (and his origins are shown in one of the Harry books)
Street Fight Pumpkin I created as a really lame parody of Ninja Turtles.
George Ginespurn was a generic mad scientist tech guru for the team, and human brother to Street Fight Pumpkin. Looking back, he was a prototype model for Harry Hembock.
Marvin Metamorph was a transforming robot that could origami into anything.
Robo-Bo-Bo was a cyborg rebuilt from just literal hamburger chunks of his human self.
The Twornkie was a copyright safe version of a certain snack cake who got brought to life, and made bionic and radioactive. It was a stupid one-note joke that got way out of hand.

Jellybean Man was a jellybean with stick arms and legs. He was my very first character.
Well, first original character, but I'll get to that.

Tuperbird was my second character.
He was a hawk with a "T", patch strapped to his chest.
Well....there was Mighty Mouse, so why not?
I was evolving.

Squabsy...yeah, he was my Jar-Jar.
School shrinks thought they could torment the "weird", out of me by bullying me into making cute G-rated shit.
Fuck them, and fuck that character in all his holes with a sandpaper dildo hooked to a jackhammer.

Roboton Defenders were my Transformers knockoff, but Transformers were a knockoff of other changing robots, who were knockoffs of other changing robots, going back to Micronauts.
So, kiss my ass.
At least I made original characters with original transforms under that core concept.
Better than any other dumb kid in my school did.
Standout was Kadoonk, because he was a BB gun, and I had a BB gun.

Stick man eating pellets of goat shit was a graffitti I did in a coloring book and got in trouble for.
Getting revenge here.

The child with his eyeballs ripped out tugging at his mother's skirt screaming "mommyyyy!!", while his bloody eyes are being held up happily by his playful and adorable baby brother, was a cartoon I drew at 10 years old, and got in deep shit trouble for.
Again, getting revenge now.
And it harkens back to my rant about seeing horror comics as a kid, and thinking "grownup guys get paid for drawing this stuff, and no one puts them in jail for it. It must be legal. So what's the problem? I'm here to practice for my future job, and they're not letting me. By not letting me, they're not doing THEIR job".
Fuck off, Nazis.
Hope every one of ya got AIDS.

Vomitting video game blip is obviously Puke Pacman.
Another cartoon I got in trouble for.
Like, ridiculous amounts of trouble.
Like, WAY out of proportion amounts of trouble.
You'd think I'd shot a classmate.
You know why it was really so damned offensive?
I had Ms Pacman be a cunt about making Pacman mop his puke up with shitty non-absorbant brown paper towels.
Just like my teacher when I got sick (I was that pukey kid every class had).
I perfectly nailed her stupid bitchy facial expressions and everything.
Anyway, a dumbed down short version of it is in the Harry books somewhere.
Because fuck y'all, muthafuckas.

"Laser hemorrhoid surgery", was a headline I cut out of the paper, glued to a piece of white paper, and drew the corresponding obvious cartoon for.
That one got me in trouble, and ended up in my shrink file.
Fuck, put the guys at Mad Magazine in a psych ward, while you're at it.
Fucking fascist dimwits.
Well, fuck them, into my book it goes.

"Dridgerbread Man", was my baby-talk for gingerbread man at about 3-4 years old.
I was getting better.

The invisible man wearing only white gloves, eating fruit salad without silverware, that was a thing I acted out when I was little with refrigerator magnets of hands and fruit.
No one found it cute or funny.
When kids do silly things, it's supposed to be cute, and win approval.
Well, not for me, I guess.
Into canon it goes.
Bam.

Diarrhea Teddy bear was my Teddy Ruxpin skit from Krazyfool's.

Gastro The Intestinator was a Harry villain I planned, and sketched, but never got to use.

"Man dropping dead of hunger pains in the parking lot of a fast food burger joint before he gets inside", was the summary of a story I wrote in 3rd grade called "The Man With Hunger Pains".
It got me in trouble.
I genuinely did not understand what was so fucking offensive.
The little morons in my class got to write edgier stuff than that, but because they were little apple polishers with better grades, they didn't get picked on.
Fuck you, hypocrites. Into the book it goes.

"Crayon scribble rendition of The Prodigious Mass".
THAT was my first character.
I mean, you know who Prodigious Mass is a stand-in for, right?
All right.
I have him looking up at Jellybean Man in the scene to connect them.

Appletron was a weird cartoon that was a parody of Voltron.
Because the teachers wouldn't let me draw robots, so I got around their bullshit by making Voltron out of fruit.
Roaring lions, crunching apples.
Why did they stop me drawing robots?
For no better reason than they were sick of them.
Yeah, teachers would just do that, create arbitrary rules based on random petty whims.
I figured encouraging behavior like that could only be harmful to society, so I sabotaged and resisted everywhere I could.
Appletron came out of that.
Crunch, crunch, motherfuckers.

Super-Smile was a character in a dental health poster that I won a ribbon for.
It was my only moment of victory ever in school.
He's in "Harry's Finale", in the back.

The "children's storybook about a ogre who peels apart and rearranges the rainbow, and changes the world's colors, and two (now green) little boys have to ascend the rainbow with bubblegum bubbles, fix the rainbow, and defeat the ogre", was a story my mother wrote and illustrated.
It vanished, I suspect shenanagins, but I still remember the guts of it.
It's re-created in Harry canon now.

"Grossey Mosey", was a character, and title of a comic I made with an old friend.
I killed the character off, but only as a fake-out funny cliffhanger that was gonna resolve as a joke, but he spazzed out, and thought I was a bastard, and it ruined the project, and damaged our friendship.
He grew up into the creep that dangled the girl out the window.
Fuck him.
Mosey's really dead now.
But he re-incarnated as Harry.
*Double fingers*

"Outer space show about three space cadets, two men, one woman, and the leader is a mutant with bulletproof eyes, and a scratchy voice", was a pretend game I played with two neighbor kid friends when I was little.
A boy and a girl
Me and the dude overheard the girl singing a weird made up song, and we could both swear one of the words was "asaboonie!".
We thought that was hilarious.
Yeah, I know "ease in the badawa", I shouldn't talk.

But this did evolve into the character that became Planetary Patrolman, who inspired Harry, and who I evolved into Commander Continuum.

Ricky Recoil was a paper doll character I made to give to a girl I had a crush on.
What an idiot.
Kids are stupid.
Jesus.


From QD/JS season 2, chapter 30.

And all of the above characters come back at the end for the final celebration.
Liberated from tyranny, and fascism, and censorship at long last.

Oh, yeah, Yummy Youse was my baby talk for a certain corporate rodent mascot.

Okeen was my baby talk for ice cream, so I made that an ice cream brand in the Harryverse.

Wood-Ro was a wooden dummy I actually made out of lumber.
My folks thought that was weird, so they threw him away.
Back into canon he goes.

"Ease in the Badawah", at the very end to literally bring EVERYTHING full circle.

And that's it, that's my unbroken Mike Meggison universe all sealed up together.

Going forward, I just need a reference back to Jade-Shade, or Harry, or...something to keep the canon rolling ahead.


No comments:

Blog Archive

Labels