Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Ghostbusters & SSU catch up.


Got these yesterday.

Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire (2024)



Yep, I still love the shit out of it.

Need to marathon it with "Afterlife" and then do all 4.
When you cross the 4 entry threshold with a movie series, it feels like a show binge.
I can't wait.

Gotta retro-link this to the 40th anniversary cuz I promised myself.


Madame Web (2024)


Yep. I got it. 😏😅😆

Ranted about its place in box-office history here.

(Pasted over from Facebook)
Okay! So, "Madame Web"! 
Hmm. Well, it's not horrible. I've seen way worse. 
It's not Ed Wood bad like I wanted going in. 
It's not great though. But the way it's not great is really weird, so it's fascinating. 
All the things you've heard are true. 
About the Pepsi product placement being obnoxious. 
About Cassie and the teen girls bonding being awkward and unnatural. 
Yeah, that stuff is there. 
But the over-arching weirdness is...it feels like a video game. 
It feels like you're watching someone else play a game, and you're not spared any of the fetch quests and grinding. 
If Cassie needs her mom's journal, there's not gonna be an edit skip. 
No, you're going on that quest. 
If the girls need to replenish their calories with food, you're watching them eat. 
If the teen girls are going to the diner, you're watching that walk. 
If Cassie catches up to them at the same diner, you're watching that same walk again. 
It's a live gaming stream. You're seeing everything. 
The girls learn CPR? You're watching the whole tutorial. We're not skipping that. Nope. 
All of this said, I like it better than "Morbius". "Morbius" was just raw dumb. 
"Madame Web" made my mind-gears turn constantly even if it was in a "the fuck?" kind of way. 
If you want to see a genuinely good movie, I don't recommend. 
But if you're insanely curious, go for it. 
It's sloggy, but a weird fascinating sloggy. 
I see why it bombed; it is NOT a theater kind of movie. It's some weird experiment. 
They should have marketed it as such. 
I'd almost say this is like an AI wrote it, but AIs are already doing better. 
PlayStation 2 wrote this.

(Me in the present)
Seriously, why wasn't the future flash-forward of the girls in their suits as heroes the whole fucking movie?
How will this tie in to the larger Venom-verse?
Will it ever now?
Will it just be cut loose like Fantastic 4 2015?
Everything about this movie is weird.
The idea, the making, the end product, the actresses airing the dirty laundry to the press, the whole journey of this thing.
I'm glad I have it.
It's another weird one like FF2015. A historical curiosity.

Oh, and as far as bad girl superhero movies go, this one's way better than Catwoman and Elektra.
Especially Elektra. 
Elektra is flat out boring with no weird fascination like this one has.

Not as good as "Tank Girl" though. I love "Tank Girl".

And, that's the end.


No comments:

Blog Archive

Labels