Saturday, March 21, 2020

Munchies do-overs.

Munchies & Crunchies #28
-and-
Post 33 away from 3000 posts!

So, the story stuff in the last 5 entries got far away from me, so let's turn them back into regular food posts, what say?


Jellies, Jams, & preserves.

Boysenberry jam (seedless).


From here.

Saw this on one of my "foreigners try America's grub", type of channels.
They were going apeshit over this.
I naturally became curious.

Holy shit, why did I wait until age 44 to have this?
This stands victorious as the best jam ever!
We have a new champion!

Boysenberry is a hybrid of several kinds of blackberry and raspberry, and the jam tastes like blackberry and blueberry with some other undescribable highlights.

Yep, it was good stuff.
But I have to go to a grocery store far out of town to get it, so....probably the last time I'll have it for a helluva while.
It was nifty to try, anyway.


Apple butter.


Ditto boysenberry.

So, I tried this in the 80's, and liked it.

But, my best friend at the time, now my ex-friend, let's call him Dave, ruined it for me.
(Long rambling story cut)

So, anyway, 40 fucking years later, I bought my own fucking apple butter for myself Monday.
I couldn't even remember what it tasted like anymore.

Eh...it's all right.
It's like applesauce blended to babyfood smoothness with cinnamon, and almost raisin-y undertones.

But, there's no raisins in the ingredients.
Just apples, and apple cider.

It's just *wavy hand* on toast.
I don't think it would go good with peanut butter.
The texture isn't right.
Too soggy and soft.
The peanut butter would dominate it.

I think it would be good on like, banana bread, or pumpkin bread, or zucchini bread.
Something dry and sweet and spongy.
Y'know, to soak it in.

Or, pork chops.
It would be good as an applesauce substitute on pork chops.

It was good stuff.
I killed it that week.
Finally finished a jar.
The curse is broken.

I wouldn't have it again.
It didn't rock my world or nothin.


Baggah Burgahs!!


From here.

Me & my folks used to get "baggah burgahs", in the 90's, which was a sack of whatever was cheap, usually Mickey's. If you could fill a sack for 6-10 bucks, you were in a for a feast.

Oh, not gourmet vittles for sure, but you were gonna be stuffed to the rafters.

Looking at Mickey's menu in another tab, you can actually get way more for your buck now.
You can get a McDouble plus a side for 2 bucks.
So, every second burger of the old deal, you can turn to fries, and/or cheese sticks.
Or, they have 2 single cheeseburgers for two bucks, which is one a buck, which means you can stuff a bag for 10-20 bucks depending on how many people you're feeding.

Say...what's the difference between a double-cheese, and a McDouble?
*Investigates*
McDouble has one slice of cheese instead of 2.
*Shrugs*
They really gouge you for that second slice, I guess.
Okay then....

Now let's look at BK....*summons it up*
Nope, double cheeseburgers are a buck 69, BUT, single cheese burgers are a buck, you can fill a bag with theirs just like Mickey's.

You can still stuff a bag with 10 double-cheese for under 20 though.

BK went through a phase where their smallest burgers were double-cheese, or Whopper Jr.
Glad to see the singles are back.

Yep, the big three chain burger joints are still a good bargain.

Course, nowadays, get drive-through, and come home and throw the bag right in the microwave to kill the corona.
And wash your hands.


Beef & Broccoli


From here.

So, I'm eating beef n' broccoli with garlic sauce while watching "Ferngully".
It gets to the part where Tim Curry as Hexxus is singing "toxic love", (which I still think sounds like "toxic lunch", sung in the chorus), and when he gets to the line "Filthy brown acid rain! Pouring down like egg chow mein!", I got a little bit of a kick I happened to be eating Chinese.

Kind of a 4-D movie thing going on there.

Yep, that was a good memory.
But, I haven't had that meal in ages.
My faves these days are Egg Foo Yung, or General Tso's Chicken, or whatever combo platter has the crab rangoons.


M&M's!!


From here.

So, last Christmas, I was looking at my Christmas M&M's, and a memory came back to me...

In 2013, there was an M&M's ad where the yellow M took his shell off, and danced naked to "I'm sexy and I know it", by LMFAO

Then, later that year, we had a family birthday party where there was a DJ playing that song, and the little kids danced to it.

It was funny.
Good times.
In spite of one stick in the mud who we don't talk about anymore.
Life's too short for parade pissers.
Especially these days.


Jolly Rancher!!


From here.

So, I voted in the primary, and they were handing out Jolly Ranchers (and mints, and butterscotch, it was an assortment).

And that's all that happened.
I eat Jolly Ranchers un-burdened by anyone else who may have eaten them.

Just like I enjoy the following recipes un-burdened by anyone else who may have cooked them.
And the very fact that they're everywhere online shows they're not exactly copyrighted creations unique to anyone good or bad.

Peanut butter squares.

Ingredients-

1 cup butter or margarine, melted
2 cups graham cracker crumbs
2 cups confectioners' sugar
1 cup peanut butter
1 ½ cups semisweet chocolate chips
4 tablespoons peanut butter

Directions

Step 1
In a medium bowl, mix together the butter or margarine, graham cracker crumbs, confectioners' sugar, and 1 cup peanut butter until well blended. Press evenly into the bottom of an ungreased 9x13 inch pan.

 Step 2
In a metal bowl over simmering water, or in the microwave, melt the chocolate chips with the 4 tablespoons peanut butter, stirring occasionally until smooth. Spread over the prepared crust. Refrigerate for at least one hour before cutting into squares.

And...

Symphony brownies.

INGREDIENTS

1 box of brownie mix for 9x13" pan (or your own homemade brownie recipe)
Ingredients called for on brownie mix
3 large (4.25 oz each) Symphony candy bars with almonds and toffee chips

INSTRUCTIONS

Mix the brownies according to box directions. Spray a 9x13" pan with non-stick cooking spray.
Pour 1/2 the brownie mix into the pan (it won't seem like very much!).
Unwrap the 3 candy bars and place side by side on top of the batter in the pan. 
Don't break or chop up the candy bars, they will be whole.
Pour the remainder of the brownie mix over the top.
Bake according to directions on the brownie box. Let cool, cut, and serve.


And there we go!!!



Previously with MC-

Jolly Rancher!! (MC #27)


No comments:

Blog Archive

Labels