Monday, September 2, 2019

A nostalgia two-fer. (MM #134)


Two early 90's flicks that popped into my memory....


In "Pumpkin spice season: Part 2. (MC #7)", I said...

I should fire up "Doctor Giggles", for old time's sake too.
And "The Gate II", I remember her recommending that one.
I remember that one had that everything you magically wished for literally turned into a pile of shit after. That's some fun shi...uh, stuff. *smirk* Heh.

So, what the Hell, I did, and here they are....


Dr. Giggles (1992)


Previous review here.

So, did it get better with time?
Ssss...nooope.
By my outlook on it got a little better.

It's not scary enough to be straight horror, and it's not funny enough to be horror-comedy.
Although, that's probably what you'd officially have to categorize it as.

He's a Batman villain.
I snapped to the realization when he busts out of the cartoony asylum at the beginning.
He's a test-run of a crappy Batman villain before Batman finally traces his evidence trail, tracks him down, and beats the shit out of him.
It's just that the movie cuts off the Batman part.

Imagine an extra scene where Christian Bale shows up, and goes "rarr-rarr-rarr-rarr, Doctor Giggles!!", *punch*.
Then that makes it almost worth it.
Almost.

One neat bit of trivia I found out right at the start of the credits.
This was directed by Manny Coto!!
The guy who fixed "Star Trek: Enterprise"!
Not enough to save it from cancellation, but he made the fans happy.

He became show-runner in the fourth and final season, and he made a laundry list of "what would I want to see with a Classic Star Trek prequel?", and he did all of it.
He tied it into Classic Trek rather than get lost in a hedge maze of introspection trying to make it about 9/11, which is what season three was all about.

Boy, you came a long way from "Doctor Giggles", buddy.
Good on ya.


Gate II: The Trespassers (1990)


Not as good as I remembered, but still better than "Dr. Giggles".
But not by much.

I dunno where the "The Trespassers", sub-title comes from, it's not on the poster, the box, or in the credits.

Anyway, the glasses kid from the first movie is a teenager now, and he re-summons the demons, because we need a sequel, and he has to drink idiocy potion off-screen to justify it.

Best part was mentioned up top, when the magical genie wishes from the mini-demon turn into piles of shit.
The movie never deals with how they cleaned up a car sized pile of excrement in the driveway.
Just poof, it's suddenly gone.
I want a whole movie of that.
Disposing of regular household trash in the suburbs is a headache, how do you get the trash-man to carry away 2000 pounds of butt-mud sent from Hell?
That must have taken some smooth talking.

But, nope, the poop-mobile takes up less than 30 seconds of screen time.
20, tops.
Bummer.

My trivia take away from this one, is the girl who becomes glasses kid's girlfriend is the voice of Bobby Hill on "King Of The Hill".

My Easter-egg take away is that I sat through the credits, and I don't know why, but I was rewarded with an after-credits scene of the hamster who was sacrificed at the beginning of the movie climbing out of the portal to Hell resurrected. Like "look! The hamster is okay too!".
Um...yay?
If this were remade, the hamster would be the first of an Avengers team of horror movie zombie pets.
Thankfully, cinematic universes weren't a thing in the 90's.
...except for Kevin Smith movies.

Anyway, I figure I've processed the whole thing now, and I'll never have to watch this crummy movie again.
Or "Dr. Giggles".
Last time for both, I promise.


Previously on straight-to-video-

Previously with MM-

2 comments:

Paladin said...

I saw the grave of Larry Drake (L.A. Law, Darkman, Dr. Giggles) my last weekend in L.A.

I like his epitaph: Scio non sugit ("I know that I know nothing.")

Diacanu said...


Shit, I feel terrible, I forgot he even died. :(

Blog Archive

Labels