Sunday, September 22, 2019

The Dark Crystal. (MM #138)


Damn, I saw these a few weeks ago now, time to blog it, and get it over with....


The Dark Crystal (1982)
The Dark Crystal: Age Of Resistance (2019)


Old review of TDC here.

And from here....

I hadn't seen the movie since...well, since it was on HBO in '83 I think.
It'd been awhile.
So, I had to re-watch it to re-familiarize myself with the world before jumping into the show.
I don't know what order works best. Movie, or show first.
The beginning of the '82 movie starts sadder for the good guys than Star Wars.
So, when you know the movie before the show, you kinda know going in any victory is going to be as hollow as "The Phantom Menace".
And that's kind of how it ends, TPM style.
A happy end that you know is going to be reversed later.
But, it's the journey getting there, and meeting and caring about the characters, and on that level DC:AOR kicks TPM's ass.

That's the quick run-through version, now I'll ramble a bit.

Seeing the movie again for the first time in ages, wow, it really holds up well!

I reverse my opinion, I declared "Labyrinth", as Henson's masterpiece, and it is great, but "Dark Crystal", has a much bigger world to play with.
Easily as big as Star Wars.
Both in physical scope, and time-span.
And it's not for little babies just cuz it's Muppets, it's dark as a motherfucker.
Movie or show.

Now, the show.
The movie has that the Skeksis ruined the environment, and wiped out the Gelflings, and we get the sense that this was a rapid process, but "Age Of Resistance", shows us, it was gradual over generations.
Here, the Skeksis are just learning to drain life essence, and are actually friends with the Gelflings, and the Gelflings are unwitting dupes to their own demise.

Like a lot of Americans today.

I can't not see the satire in it.
The Skeksis are so clearly Republicans, and/or the rich in general, and the Gelflings are....all the unwitting dupes, conservative and liberal alike, who keep eating the shit sandwich, and just aren't able to see the doom coming.

Very good show, and it lives up to the classic film.
A worthy prequel.
Who knew we'd ever see one of those, eh?

Yep, I'd gladly watch multiple seasons of this so long as they find ways to keep it fresh, and explore new facets of this universe.
Keep it coming!

Y'know, I'd recommend this to Thrones fans.
Yep, I would.
Like I said above, both the movie and show are dark as a motherfucker.
It's got everything Thrones has but the titties and cursing.
And...you get little winks at some of that too.
If this hangs in there for at least 5 seasons, this could be your replacement show.

That's a good enough sized chunk of text, I guess I'm done.
Peace out.


Previously-

No comments:

Blog Archive

Labels