Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Flicks I've watched (Part 28)


Part 26.
Part 27.

Forgot to do that last time...
Okay, here we go.


Justice League: War (2014)


Mentioned before here.
So, we're a third of the way through for the new ones for 2014.

Wow, this was actually really good.
Character interaction was as snappy as in "The Avengers".

Come to think of it, this is totally DC's Avengers.

If the live-action one can live up to this, they'll be in good shape.

Anyway, plot is, the heroes team up for the first time, and fight Darkseid.

Superman, Batman, Flash, and Cyborg are about the same they've always been.
Green Lantern is a bit cocky and unseasoned.
Shazam acts like a little kid in a man's body, which is completely right.
Wonder Woman, well, the past couple decades, they've essentially turned her into Xena with powers.
I suppose, for her backstory it works, but I'm an aging fuddy-duddy that misses Linda Carter, I guess.

Max swears by the new run though.
Might have to check it out someday....

Anyway, good stuff, if you like superheroes, it's a no-brainer.
See it.
You've got a long wait for the Zack Snyder one.


Oz: The Great And Powerful (2013)


I dunno, there was some teeth gnashing out in critic-land, but I liked it.
What can I say?

Even though I liked other movies way better, Mila Kunis all witched up, and screaming "I defy you!!!!!", was my favorite movie moment of 2013.
Kinda turned me on too. :-P

Characters like that I always think ought to be the heroes, not the villains.
Feel the same way about Michelle Pfeiffer's Catwoman.
But don't get me started on that rant.

Anyway, a rare decent prequel.
Not great, but worth a spin.
Kids'll dig it.

Notice how Disney is a big enough corporate megalith not to be sued into oblivion by MGM?
They still had to negotiate, and change some details around, but come on, we can tell.

I much prefer 1985's "Return To Oz", but, hey, go ahead, and watch all three as a trilogy.
Sure, you're going to have some jarring tone and style shifts, but I think that adds to the fun.
Sequels shouldn't be TV episodes.
I cite the Hannibal quintilogy as evidence.

And, that's those.



No comments:

Blog Archive

Labels